Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transfer case vent fitting

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by djohnsn, Aug 23, 2000.

1. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

I am looking for a source for the fitting that presses into the transfer case (NP205) for the vent extension, or an alternative to the factory fitting. Local transmission shops and parts stores do not have anything suitable.

It has been suggested that I cut threads and use pipe fittings, but the transfer case is assembled and installed. If I were to unbolt the output housing(?), is there anything that would prevent me from rotating it enough to cut the threads without dropping metal shavings into the transfer case?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

2. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I used one off of a 208. It was alot longer than the factory 205 one. Try a salvage yard, that's where I got mine. Or, you could try the dealer, though I would make them a LAST RESORT. That little part might cost 30 bucks from them!

BIGJ

3. 85GMCJimmy

85GMCJimmy Registered Member

if you have to make a tap into the t case, put vaseline around the tap to most of the shavings will stick to that instead of falling in to your t case

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Heck I'm just using a barb plastic hose fitting that I got from Autozone for $1.50. I used some sealent that dries rock hard to put it in the vent hole and ran a hose up the firewall for a vent. I use a $2 fuel filter for a jap car as a vent cap zip tied to the brake booster. Did this on both the case and the tranny. stayed put so far after a couple of hard years of wheeling.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/