Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer case woes :(

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer83, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Blazer83

Blazer83 Registered Member

Transfer case has developed a slight leak of ATF from the front seal to the front drive shaft. (not sure if it is an NP205 or not) Anyone had this? Also, how hard is it to change out?

2. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

if it is a 205 and leaking ATF you have problems indeed...

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I have a Np208 t-case and ever since I put my new tranny in and changed the fluid in the t-case, it leaks A LOT...I have'nt driven my truck for like 2 weeks b/c it is too much of a PITA to pump a half quart of ATF in every day...I got a good deal on an almost NEW 208 online and bought it and I am waiting toput the new one in...I am going to rebuild my old one with a rebuild kit and keep it around to and try to convert it to a fixed rear output yoke using half of a dodge case... If you got a new seal kit, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to pull the case one weekend and put new seals in it and be done with it...It shouldn't be too hard to just do the seals...

Chris

4. Blazer83

Blazer83 Registered Member

What is the best way to tell which one it is? The guy I bought this truck from obviously did some major changes and didn't feel the need to tell me about them. I know the truck originally had a 305 small block, it was from 1983, other than that, I don't believe anything that guy told me.

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

There are a couple ways to ID your t-case...

1. First look for an ID badge on the case that will tell you the model #, gear ratio, and serial number.

2. Is the case cast iron or cast aluminum?

3. Does the case have a fixed rear output yoke or a slip yoke for the rear output?

As Morph said above, it probably isn't a 205 t-case cuz the 205 used plain 'ol motor oil instead of ATF...

Click the "Specifications" link at the top of the page to learn more about what you year K% came wtih from the factory... My guess is you have the 208 t-case as that is what came w/ it from the factory and you most likely don't have a 205... The quickest way I know to Idetify a 205 is the Idler Gear cover. It is a cover on the rear of the cae that has 3 boles in a triangular pattern. It is right in the middle between the front input gear and the front output gear, just on the opposite side of the case. This cover is there to support the idlere gear in a 205 b/c the 205 is gear driven and the 203 and 208 are chain driven the 203 and 208 t/cases won't have such a cover...

GL and feel free to ask more question...

Might try a search on t-case ID or something as there have been MANY helpfull photos posted inteh past...

Chris