Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer case yokes - seal sheilds?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ugly_blazer, Jul 2, 2004.

1. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

While swapping the yokes on my 205 I noticed that the ones I was taking off of the front have a "sheild" that is on the yoke, I guess to protect the seal from dirt/damage. The one from the back of the t-case didn't have the sheild. All 3 that I put on did not have any "sheilds". Is this something I should worry about? Does anyone sell a "sheild" that will go on a stock 1310 output yoke from a 203/205 since that's what I am running for my input and front output? The pics are for reference as to what I am referring to as a "sheild"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

u can get away w/out them espesailly if u don't run a lot of mud. even if u do worst case u will have to replace the seals more often

i don't know where to buy them, probably randy's ring & pinion would be my first call.

if u got the old yokes or some junk ones lying around that have the same size shaft u can hammer them off & back on to your new yokes.

3. ugly_blazer

Ok, I may try to get the old ones off. I hit on one a bit and it seemed to break loose, it'll just take a while. I spend a lot of time in the mud, the only rocks around here are in my driveway /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I bought a new NP205 rear yoke from HAD and it didnt have a shield, the original one did.....Ive run it without any problems but we have no mud and all rocks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. ugly_blazer

[ QUOTE ]
    .....Ive run it without any problems but we have no mud and all rocks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could live in Az... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I was kind of wanting the sheilds on them because they are both on the front of the t-case. I don't know about on the highway either, if rain or road debris would be able to get in since they are facing toward the front? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My front flange has nothing and I'm not worried a bit.

Keep in mind that while that shields dirt out, it can hold it in too.

Also, those things break loose from the yoke all the time and rattle like crazy.