Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transfer case

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by baldk5, Jun 3, 2001.

1. baldk5

baldk5 Registered Member

I got a 90k5 with 4" of lift (lift blocks in rear). I'm having problems with vibrations. The rear drive shft is running at about 17'. I found a np205 cheap, should I swap out my 241 for the 205 for the fixed yoke or does anyone know if i can get a fixed yoke for my 241?

2. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

You can get a conversion for the 241. Try JB Conversions or Jesse the drivelineman. I think they kit is about $350 plus the driveshaft mods.

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Have you dropped the transfer cae yet? If not, its easy. Look o nthe botls for the crossmember, and there are spacers on each one, but the yaren't doing anything. Move them from where they are to between the frame and the crossmember.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

If your rock crawling keep the 241 and convert it to fixed. If your just mudding, get the 205, however, your gonna have to rebuild your tranny, well, completely dis-assemble it to swap out the output shaft.
    But if you are going to extreme rock crawl, keep the 205 and get the doubler from ORD.
    Personally, I'd recommend the 241 fixed kit. The get you a CV driveshaft and forget about vibrations.

Steve Fox for President, 2004.
    Jimi Hendrix was re-incarnated in 1990 as my....JIMI

5. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Are you sure that Highangle has a fixed kit for the 241? I was told by a partner of theirs that they use a longer slip shaft....
    Will be checking.
    Dave

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I have talked to Jesse at Highangle and he has told me that they have a Slip Yoke Eliminator kit, that requires that you take the T-case apart and put a shorter output shaft with a fixed yoke. So I would say yes, unless he was lying to me.

How ever, JB COnversions sells them too.

7. 2Dogs

Cool. I want that one! I let you know what happens - should be ordering the parts this week and start soon after.

8. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well, $hit, while your ordering, get me one 2.....
    Im still saving to get mine.

9. 2Dogs

I was quoted $300 for the longer slip - what does the eliminator run? We get the 10% discount from this site but maybe a higher discount for 2 since he the jig will be ready...?
    The shop I am working with is one of his testers also - will let you know this week.
    I think we are having this conversation over 2 posts - ha.
    Dave

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Let me know what you decide to do with the NP 205. I may be interested in buying it if you don't use it.

If you didn't built it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

11. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

Something else to think about is that you have a VSS in your 90 model since your speedo is electronic. The 205 will have a mechanical output for a cable driven speedometer. You will either have to machine the 205 to accept a gear and VSS output or rewire your dash harness and put in a mechanical speedo. Either way can get fairly expensive.
    Russ

12. baldk5

baldk5 Registered Member

if you guys are gonna get 2, let me know, maybe they'll do better for 3.

13. 2Dogs

I ordered my fixed kit yesterday - need to wait for measurements before I order the driveline. Call Jesse and ask for the CK5 discount. We are pointing business to him so hopefully we qualify for extra discounts :)

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Painless Wiring, Jags That Run and several others sell adapters that will send the proper info to the computer and speedo. They run $80 to $100, depending on exactly which model you need for your application. Check out <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jagsthatrun.com/#VSS>http://www.jagsthatrun.com/#VSS</A>

Does the '90 use a VSS that comes from the t-case? Earlier models (like the '88 I've been helping a friend strip) have a mechanical speedo that uses a rotating mirror and an LED to provide the VSS input.

Either way, there are solutions. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

15. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

I talked with both of those places and they did not have one for that application because it uses a 40 tooth reluctor? gear. I talked with some local speedo shops here in San diego also and they told me I would have to go with the VSS drive that mounts to the mechanical speedo output and then add the other box under the dash to convert the signal. All in all about $300. I went ahead and had an NP241 forty tooth gear machined to fit the output shaft on the 205 and then had a hole tapped in the housing on the 205 to accept the 241 VSS and everything works great.
    Russ