Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transfer case

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hammermachine, Sep 15, 2006.

1. hammermachine

hammermachine 1/2 ton status

:eek1: Okay, my blazer is finally roadworthy and legal. But my mechanic thinks that I might want to think about replacing the transfer case, since it's the orginal 1985 (np208?). Can anyone give me a layman's version of the differences are in transfer cases. I know what it does but I don't know which one is better for off roading.

2. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Is the only reason for replacing is because its old? or is there actually something wrong with it? I drove mine for 2 years with the original 84 case with no problems and for the past year Ive had a 79 205. neither of which were rebuilt and work fine. unless there was something wrong with your current case I would keep it and if it breaks, then replace it.

3. hammermachine

hammermachine 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I'll just drive it till it breaks.

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

IMHO thats an old way of thinking your 208 should be fine and provides a way better low range than a 205 or 203, its main disadvantage is the slipyoke.

Np203 full time cast iron case huge weighs alot basically a 2 to 1 low range chain drive

np 205 super strong cast iron case lighter than a 203 but still somewhat heavy 2 to 1 low range gear drive

NP208 Aluminum case 2.6 low range lighter than a 205, chain drive and a slip yoke on the tail shaft

NP241 Aluminum chain drive case I think low range is 2.72 and you can put a slip yoke elimintor on it. IMHO the best t-case of the stock ones for an all around rig thats only midly built.