Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transfer case

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bouncytruck, Oct 22, 2001.

1. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I have a 69 K-5 with a later (don't know exactly what year) 350/TH350. I just got it running again after several months of electrical issues. When I was on a test drive, it shifted into second and the transfer case made a lot of noise. I don't know exactly what transfer case I have, or how to tell, but I think that it is the NP203 judging by the drawings in my Chilton's book. Does anyone know what this noise is or what I should do to trouble shoot it? I have heard that the NP203 is junk. Is this true? Should I just start looking for a new transfer case?

'69 K-5/350/TH350/35's & 6" Lift

2. wrath

wrath 1/2 ton status

Should be a tag on transfer case that will say what you have ,if I'm correct there should be a raised 205 or 203 cast into it also,if you only do moderate offroad the chain drive 203 will hold up and are easy to find for your automatic trans.but if your doing heavy duty offroadin the gear drive 205 is bulletproof(thats why its regarded as the best),your wallet will tell you which to look for..Just remember whatever transfer case you look for must be for a automatic,input splines are different for transfer cases that are mated to manuals..

70K5 350ci.350/205 "PROJECT 40"BOGGERS" It runs and its clean !!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OurMudToys/the70k5blazer.msnw>http://communities.msn.com/OurMudToys/the70k5blazer.msnw</a>

3. wrath

wrath 1/2 ton status

Sorry,didnt really help you solve your problem,if your hearing a grinding noise you most likely stretched/ broke your chain or stripped a gear out,My .02 cents, dont mess with it,try to find a np205,the 205 is a gear to gear transfer case unlike the 203 which is chain drive,cant go wrong with that upgrade...

70K5 350ci.350/205 "PROJECT 40"BOGGERS" It runs and its clean !!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OurMudToys/the70k5blazer.msnw>http://communities.msn.com/OurMudToys/the70k5blazer.msnw</a>

4. bouncytruck

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into rebuilding the current transfercase and see how much it will cost. I'll also check into switching to an NP205 but my guess is it is going to have to wait awhile. I haven't opened up the transfercase to see exaclty what is going on in there yet, hopefully nothing to bad. The noise is pretty minimal right now and it just started. I'd guess that it is the chain slipping.

Thanks again for the info.

5. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

If it sat for a while maybe the t-case is not all the way in gear?

Never said I could spell!
    '70 K-20 San Diego, CA

6. bouncytruck

I was thinking that maybe it wasn't all the way in gear too. I opened up the back of the t-case to take a look inside. Everything looks in really good shape. The chain looks good, there were no metal shavings in the oil, the teeth on the gears look good!

Here is a dumb question. The 203 only has three positions, right. What are they. I am assuming that forward is 4H, middle is neutral and back is 4L, but that is just a guess. I can't find any info anywhere.

Thanks for the help everyone.

7. bouncytruck

Still working on getting it up and running. I tore appart the shifter last night but I'm having problems getting it back together again. Does anyone know where I can get a manual on NP203's. I'd like to have it for reference and I may end up tearing the whole thing apart eventually anyway.

Thanks!

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I don't know the order but a 203 has Hi, Hi Lock, N, Lo or something like that.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

9. bouncytruck

I'm thinking about scrapping the 203 and going with a 205! I rebuilt the shifter and put it back in last night. It was shifting fine but still making strange noises. Then, the shifter locked up and I can't move it at all. I think that it is stuck in neutral since the truck won't go forward if the tranny is in Drive.

Does anyone know how easy it is to switch to a NP205? What all will I need? Will I need to shorten/lengthen the drivelines? If it cost too much, I may have to rebuild the 203. Thanks!

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I would doubt that you have an NP203...........might be mistaken but don't think they put them in our trucks till the early 70's when the fulltime cases were the craze. Your truck ought to have the NP205 case.

NP203 from top (by the dashboard) L LOC - LOW - N - 2HI - 4LOC (this for a converted to part time truck)

NP205 4LO - 2HI - 4HI (I think..........)

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

11. jmeador74

jmeador74 1/2 ton status

If you want to change to a np205 you are going to need a 205 with the 27 spline input or get an adapter from either Off Road Design or Advance Adapters to make the 10 spline work for you. The 10 spline t/c's were more common than the 27 splines. The 10 spline t/c's usually came out of trucks or blazers with man. trannies. Then the next thing you would need is an adapter that would mate your th350 to the t/c. Hope this helps...

72 Chevy Blazer, 327, SM-465, NP 205, 4in lift, 35 in tires
    About to put in 400sbc, 700-R4

12. bouncytruck

BlazzinOR, It is definately a NP203. The engine, tranny and t-case are not original to the truck. The case has a tag on it that says it was made in '74. Thanks for the shift pattern. I have been having troubles with it and it sounds like I still don't have all the positions.

jmeador74, thanks for the info. I'll look into the adapters, etc.