Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer Case

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Snowbound, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Snowbound

Snowbound Registered Member

I have a problem with my transfer case. It's been like this for a while. Sometimes it pops out of high range and if you hit the brakes hard enough it will cause the truck to go into neutral but you can pull the lever into low and the truck will move and then everything will be fine. Anyone else have this problem Would like to fix when I get home.

2. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

What year is your blazer?, what T-Case?

3. rlhenry

rlhenry Registered Member

I have an '84 Blazer with a NP208 that slips out of 4H when I get on the gas. It didn't start doing this until I had it rebuilt. I've never had mine drop into neutral, and in 4L it stays in just fine. Just before I get on the gas in 4H, I'll reach down and hold the lever in place. I've been in a few situations where slipping out of 4H might mean a long walk home. I think it may have something to do with the rebuild because my Dad has an '88 Burb that does the same thing since he replaced the 208 in his. Any ideas as to what causes this?

4. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

If the case was removed, which i'm sure it was to be rebuilt, you may have re-adjust the linkage. If the linkage is adjusted too far one way, it will only barely go into gear and when you hit the brakes or gas the body shifting on the frame will push it just enough to pop it out of gear. Other than that, Im not sure. There may be something internal that would cause this problem, but I have not had one apart so I am not sure about that. I have experienced the lever getting pushed by the body movement on the frame. Just something easy and free and quick to check out. Good luck and keep us posted.

5. denver75k5

Yes, my np203 did the same thing, im not positive about the 208 but there should be 2 shifter adjustments under the truck, above the t-case, put the t-case in "N", then look at the lever position, they should both be facing str8 down, if they are not loosen the nuts on you shift linkage and adjust them so they are facing down.
    This worked for me on my 203 but the 208 may be a little different, but i think that sounds like the problem.

6. denver75k5

My best advise is to buy a Chiltens manual for your ride, it will tell you how to properly adjust your 208 , if that does not work it may be a shift fork.

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I am with T.J on the shift fork...I just pulled out my old 208 to replace it b/c I would be going along in 2wd and hit the brakes or go over some railroad tracks whlie braking and when I got back on the brakes...nothing...just a fast, light grinding noise...I'd have to stop and put the t-case in 4lo then back to 2wd for it to be okay...

Well, about 2 days ago, I decided to dig into my old t-case and see what was going on...I pulled the tail housing off and there were chunks of plastic from the pads on on of the shift forks...I dug deeper and found that the forward-most shift for (the smaller one) somehow was off alignmet and had a new radius literally cut into it by the gear...I will get some pics op as soon as I can...One fork leg was the normal thickness w/o much wear except that it was missing the plastic pad...The other leg of the fork was probably half the thickness of the other one...it was scary...Eventually the leg probably would've broken off causing MAJOR problems...I am going ot be ordering a few new gears and a shift for for the t-case and then I will rebuilt it and sell it...but it was p[retty jacked up...

Chris

8. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

hey man put some info in your bio, it makes help easier to give...
    i had the same problem in a 79 with a 203. my problem was caused by the body lift. i couldnt get the lever to get the gears to fully engage. after i figured out the problem it was just a matter of enlarging the hole that the t-case shifter goes through.

i felt silly/forums/images/icons/mad.gif

9. rlhenry

rlhenry Registered Member

I've got a Chilton's, a Haynes, and one that I believe is by a company called Clymer. One of those is bound to have the correct positioning. Thanks for the help. I'll post if it makes a difference.

10. Snowbound

I have an '83 K10 Silverado pickup 700R4 NP 208 TC

11. Snowbound

Thanks for the info it gives me items to check out when I get home