Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TRANSFER CASE

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 91K5BLAZER, Oct 17, 2000.

1. 91K5BLAZER

91K5BLAZER Newbie

HELP PLEASE. I HAVE A 91K5 THAT IS LEAKING FLUID FROM THE
    T-CASE BUT I CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHERE. I CLEANED IT WITH DEGREASER AND DROVE ABOUT 30 MILES TO SEE WHERE IT WAS COMING FROM. ITS NOT COMING FROM AROUND THE SLIP-YOKE
    BECAUSE ITS BEEN DRY ALL ALONG. NOW THE ONLY PLACE I AM
    FINDING THE FLUID IS ON THE U-JOINT THAT ATTACHES THE
    REAR DRIVESHAFT. THIS IN TURN SLINGS IT EVERYWHERE.
    I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT THIS KIND OF STUFF SO ANY HELP AT
    ALL WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS IN ADVANCE

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

The rear seal may be leaking down the shaft and onto the joint?

Did you try replacing the rear output shaft seal, they are pretty cheap!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I'm guessing here, but there's other people here who have had the same problem so it's not totally crazy.
    The slipyoke itself is probably what is leaking. The shaft (slip-part of the assembly) appears to be a press-fit into the yoke, with a small weld bead added for insurance. Mine leaks VERY SLOWLY from around this weld bead, and like you said, oils the u-joint and slings it everywhere. The bottom of my tub above and behind the t-case is always wet with ATF.
    To repair it, you can:
    1. Have it welded. I'm not too keen on this idea, unless the welder was experienced with driveshaft-type stuff.
    2. Pull the slipyoke out, press out the old u-joint, and clean the slipyoke VERY well with a solvent of some sort, paying much attention to the bottom inside of the shaft. Let it dry out, then carefully put some Metalset or JB Weld in the bottom of the shaft to seal it. DO NOT get any on the splines! Let it dry vertically for a day or two, then put it all back together and try it out.
    3. Ignore it, and check your t-case fluid periodically.

Hope this helps!

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

4. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I'm ignoring this problem to. I fill it upp with about 2 quarts, once a year. Then it leaks like crazy for the first weeks and it slows to a couple of drops after each drive..

My question is: Will there be enough atf left in the bottom of the T-case if it leaks at this location. Am I right in thinking it will not totaly drain out but stop when it goes below this point?

Whats the primer circle in the T-case. Does it have a pump or is it just a splash primer?

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

5. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I have a 91 blazer also and when i got the truck it had a slow leak at the rear of my t case. I thought it was beacuse the truck had a 3 inch lift and the drive shaft was no extended, however, a friend took the truck to a shop in wichita, they chaged the rear seal in the t case and it had not ever leaked since.
    I you get under the truck and there is ATF all over were the drive shaft goes into the the Tcase, then i would say that you have to replace the rear seal. The cost to do all this was about $100. Hope this helps. Check out my truck at
    brettmcox.coloradok5.com
    Later all

brett