Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer Cases

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by c7reed, Apr 6, 2003.

1. c7reed

c7reed Registered Member

Hi i have 1976 chevy blazer and it has 203 transfer case in it, It has recenlty been making some noises, i think maybe the chain or just different things are getting tired inside. Im wondering if i should just replace the chain and bearings or if i should buy a new case. i would like to change to a NP205, but i dont know if that will work out ok. Will a 205 hook right up where my 203 went? Does anyone know a good site for transfer case info? Please Help, Thanks! <font color="blue"> </font>

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

depends on your tranny. Most likely you have a th350. There are 205's for 350's, but they are getting hrder to find. If you do find one, you will need the tranny adapter and the crossmember also. Also depending on year of transfer case found, the driveshaft yokes may be different. If you can find/afford the 205, it's the best way t go!! Ck the for sale board, I have sen them in there. I am not sure, but they are more common in the older pre 73 blazers. I have seen a bunch of 70's with the 350/205 combo.

3. DrMaserati

DrMaserati Registered Member

Depends on what you want. NP203 is a chain drive, full time 4x4 case. NP205 is a gear drive part time. The 205 is probably a stronger unit, but will be noisier than the 203.

And since you have the 203, you probably don't have locking hubs on the front axle. If you change to a 205 you are going to have to install a set of hubs, since there is no differential in the 205. How much money do you want to spend? Would be a lot cheaper to overhaul the 203.

JP