Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer leakin, frame is cracked and (pics)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bone85K5, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

...do you need to hear any more bad news? I have known for some time that the transfer case has a lil slack in the chain (np208). Today driving while at work see a bunch of smoke while im driving then pull over to see black oil all over the transfer case and front driveshaft. I check fluids and dont see anything low. I limp home and take it to the tranmission guy who shows me a very obvious spot in the frame where the crossmember should connect to the frame (where the x case sits) that is broken/cracked/parts of it are missing...basically looks like the transfer case has lowered itself a inch or so and the driveshaft are supporting most of the transfer case wieght...havent heard if any damage occured to the x case.

Any ideas? Can my frame be cut and welded? Will this weld be strong enuff to hold the crossmember and xcase? Do i want to put any more money in this truck?(85, new: 350,paint,tranny,seats,33s lift,rear window guts,etc.etc.) Or is it time to buy that f-rd diesel excursion?

2. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

Re: Transfer leakin, frame is cracked and

Got a picture? Off hand I'd say repair it, if theres good metal on each side to weld to run a patch over the spot or cut and fill. you can make it strong enough.

3. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Transfer leakin, frame is cracked and

I didnt have time to take a pic but I will have one tomorrow. I think this should be an easy fix..kinda worried about the xcase...think i burned it up?

4. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

The tranny expert said the tranny got too hot. Said that the fluid got hot, started leakin out of the "vent". He is rebuilding it again (didnt find anything wrong or anything broke,burned up or smashed) The crack on the frame will be fixed soon with some 2 x 2inch angle iorn. Pics are now in my webshots of the frame.

5. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

same thing happened to my frame, i'd say patch the inside of the frame, and use the other bolt holes to mount the crossmember back on. my solution was to lower the transfer case (needed to be done after the lift anyways) and i made some stainless spacers to replace the rusted steel ones.

6. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Do i need to lower the case with 33s and a 2 1/2 lift? (want to go with zero rates in the rear at some point)

7. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i dont think it's a necessity, when i put my 4 inch springs on anytime i'd let off the gas to coast the u-joint would bind up, sounded like the whole truck was going to explode...
    but it was actually closer to 5 inches than 4...
    2.5 inch i'd say more than likely not, but its cake to do if need be....just put it on and see what happens, should be fine

8. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Do i need to lower the case with 33s and a 2 1/2 lift? (want to go with zero rates in the rear at some point)

[/ QUOTE ]

i put a 2 1/2" lift on my '88 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif and i ended up lowering my t-case and getting a new driveshaft made with a CV joint on it b/c my old drive shaft, believe it or not, was too short with the lift on, and my slip yoke and shaft were actually hitting each other.