Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer shifter

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tatman, Oct 2, 2001.

1. Tatman

Tatman Registered Member

I have a 78 K5 and the transfer shifter won't lock in HI Loc, and disengages when I let off the gas. This is the 2nd shifter (also used) I've tried with the same results. I've checked the adjustment and it is ok. Any suggestions? I looked thru a lot of the past posts and didn't find any info.

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Welcome to CK5.

Please fill out your profile so one of us who might be near you can HELP you.

Sounds like it is a NP203 with the shifter linkage out of adjustment. Had the same prob with my '79, all it took was the adjustment and it stays in LOC now.

I realize you said the adjustment was fine but might want to check the Chiltons book and re-check it.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

3. Tatman

Tatman Registered Member

Ok... I'm feeling a little sheepish here.... but then it was last winter when I checked adjustment and probably rushed cause I was freezing my buns off laying in the snow, so I just dealt with it.
    Getting a head start on winter this year....It wasn't off by much, but enuf to keep it from locking in. Just another lesson of make adjustment, check adjustment, and check it again.
    Thanks for the help in getting me off my duff to check it again.
    BTW you've got a nice ride yourself. Mine is rattlecan camo. I'll have to get a pic posted.
    I'm sure you'll see me around, I have plenty more to do.
    Thanks again.