Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Roy2099, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Roy2099

Roy2099 Registered Member

Hi, i have a 1975 Blazer, and im going to change The Transfer Because the one it has its very BAD.
    /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Which Transfer do you recomend me for a Fullsize Truck??

I Thaught in the Atlas T-case but it cost 2495.00. And i dont want to Spend THAT!!

Im thinking in the Np-208, is this the Strongest?
    (My ``New´´ Transfer doesnt need to be of a Blazer)

2. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Welcome,
    It would help all of us answering this question if you filled out your information completely.
    I will try my best though,
    the np 208 is an aluminum cased, chain driven transfer case, this is a VERY common model on the trucks in the mid to late 80's, it is not very strong at all, the only thing it has going for it compared to all of the others chevy used is that it is relatively light at 125 lbs wet.
    The next up would be the np241 which was used in the very late 80's to mid 90's trucks, it is a little stronger than the np 208, and weighs close to the same, it is also made of aluminum and chain driven.
    You probably have an np203 in your truck right now, it is a cast iron, chain driven t-case and full time 4 wheel drive.
    The most popular t-case is most likely the np205, a cast iron, gear driven t-case, that weighs A LOT! It is very strong, and easily rebuilt compared to some of the others.
    To switch t-cases you will need an adaptor and a new driveline. The adaptor fits between the tranny and t-case. You will also need to make sure that the tranny and transfer case have the same number of splines, and you will also need the crossmember that goes with the new t-case.
    Hope this helps.

3. Roy2099

Roy2099 Registered Member

Thanks TrailBlazer, And how about the Np-231 of the jeeps??

Which Transfer would you install??

Thanks Again!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

if i were replacing my case it would be with an Off Road Design Doubler, it's an adapter that mates the range box from the np203 to the np205. it's bullet proof and gives you 1:1, 1.96:1 and 4:1 gears. my suburban has an np241 in it and i like it, haven't had any problems yet.

oh, and the 231 is a jeep case, don't bother with it.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well my guess is you have a NP203. My second guess is that it has been converted to part time and the tails haft bearing is hosed from lack of lubrication bucause you or the previous owner didn't know you had to put them in LOC every couple hundred miles to refill the resivior in the tail housing. The pump back there didn't have oil to lubricate the tail shaft output bearings.
    NP203 would be your cheapest bet. They are dirt cheap to buy used. you can proably get a good one for $50. New gasket for the adaptor and your good to go.
    NP203 has a very underserved bad wrap. The only case that ever came in these truck that was any stronger is the 205. The 203 chain is DOUBLE the width of the 208. It is VERY stout. it runs non stop in 4x4 for 100,000 of thousands of mile with little or no problems. They do need an occasional Chain. That will set you back about $150 for parts about every 150-200k. It is the heaviest case ever put in these trucks. They are pushing 300lb. they are so heavy if you remove the engine the case will counter balance the tranny so need need to bother to suport the tranny.
    The 205 is widley regarded as being the stoutest. its all gear. A np205 for a TH350 tranny is rare. 71-72 and 80 were the only years they were common. The 80 version is usualy a slip yoke but it can be converted to a fixed yoke py robbing the parts off the more common 465 version (manual) of the 205.

6. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I just bought a truck with a turbo 350 version 205 with a fixed yoke, was it a good find?

7. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i had one too. then bolted up the 205 to my 700.

now my dad wants to do the same thing, but i desperatly need another 205 from a 350, they are a bit rare. if you wanna let it go drop me a pm please
    Ryan

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yep a very good find. I bet your truck is a 80...ALL trucks had the 205 that year. A lot of 81's and 82 had them swapped in when the 208 failed.
    Rumor is that a 3:1 gearset will be avialable in spring /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Imagine this crawl ratio. 465 with a 6.55 granny, Wagonor 3:1 203 gearset in a doubler, 3:1 in the 205 then your axle gears
    With 4.10s you would have a crawl of 241.7 or 268.8 with 4.56.
    To give you an idea of the crawl potential of this....You would be able to put the truck in gear...throttle up to 1500 rpm with a throttle lock. get out of your vehicle that is now traveling about 1 mph. Spot your own truck by steering through the window as it needs correction then go and check your angle of attack. Heck you could take pictures of your truck as it's crawling along. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    At idle you and your buds could eat lunch and let the truck crawl and watch it as it snailed along at less than 1/2mph.
    you could take an auto equiped truck with a 1200 rpm stall converter double low it and creep down a 30% grade with no need for using the brakes. Heck you might need to give it gas to go down hill at above 2mph LOL