Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transfercase drop

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazing86, Feb 25, 2001.

1. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

What all is involved in dropping the transfercase? Do you need to do this with a 4in lift?>
    thanks

2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

It's as simply as puting a spacer between your crossmember and frame. I've got a 4" lift and I dropped mine 1". I would recommend it, but thats just my opionon.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I have a 4in lift. And didn't drop it. It does fine no vibs at all.

Become one with nature.............Then marinate it.

4. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know where i can purchase the spacers for this ?

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

You already have them. Unblot your tcase crossmember - they are on the bolt, on top of the framerail. Just put them between your crossmemer and the frame. Once you get under there with a wrench, you'll see what I mean.
    Just remember that for every degree you correct the rear, you are making the front angles worse the same amount.
    On my k20 with 6" the front angle is where the problem is. I understand the shorter wheelbase k5s have to worry about the rear also.
    -- Mike

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

TX Mudder-Just wondering... what have you done to ease the front shaft's angle? If I go CV in the rear too I shouldn't really need to drop the t-case should I?

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Well, I rebuilt my front CV (the pin bushing had worn to the point where the CV would wobble instead of just spinning. It clears now with no grinding. I have not flexed it out yet to see if it hits when I do. I imagine it will bind when I flex it out, and I plan on using my air die grinder to clearance the yokes and CV. Until then, I've been busing building up the rest of the truck.
    -- Mike

8. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Come on just do it, everyone else has..Easy as putting gas in your K5.

<font color=blue> I'm down with the clown, till I'm dead in the ground.</font color=blue>