Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfercase mounts wont hold

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ihatefords, Jan 10, 2005.

1. ihatefords

ihatefords Registered Member

I have a SM 465 4 speed tranny and a NP 208 transfercase adn the stock crossmember and mounts but when i put my truck into four wehll drive the tourqe from the engine snaps the adapter plate in between the trany and tranfercase. I have replaced it twice and just snap it the first time I put it into 4 wheel drive.

2. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

From past posts there should be a rod brace from the 208 to the engine/bellhousing. This helps alleviate some of the strain on the adapter.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What kind of mounts do you have?

What do your engine mounts look like?

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

A.) I would check your motor mounts, and it would probably be a good idea to replace the inserts with poly ones, or step up to ORD's semi-solid mounts (cured my t-case adapter breakage woes). While you are replacing the motor mounts, it would be a good time to replace the t-case adapter mounts with poly as well (keeps everything the same). If you are only going to replace one set of mounts, the engine mounts should make a bigger difference than the t-case mounts.

B.) Check to make sure you have enough slip in the front driveshaft. If the front shaft bottoms out, it can wipe out the adapter and/or case.

C.) If your combo originally came with the brace from the side of the t-case to the bellhousing, it would probably be a good idea to make sure it's tight (or install one if there isn't one).

Let us know how you make out.