Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfercase torque mount

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rusty68, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

I am running a th475/205 combo. Originaly my truck was a 4 speed and had this bracket off the side of the frame mounted to the side of the 205 with 2 bolts. Well my new 205 doesnt have holes for this bracket drilled in it. Should I put them in and use it or what?

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Are you sure this is an NP205 that was destined for use in a GM vehicle? I have not seen any GM NP205s that didn't have the boss and holes for the transfer case mount.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I had my hands on a 205 from a 93 Dodge diesel... it didn't have the holes drilled. Its possible GM stopped drilling them too at some point. I haven't seen that bracket on anything built since the mid-70's.

4. TED

TED Registered Member

Is the bracket really necessary then if it hasn't been used on anything since the mid-70's?

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Well maybe it is. 1FNHIK5 didn't have his back on the truck at BlazerFest 3 And the back of his TH350 broke in half from torque. Of course he had a ramjet 502 up front. But his trans guy said that the lack of the torque mount caused it. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

In the mid 70's after GM went away from the frame mount was when they introduced the link that went from those same 2 holes to the front of the tranny. I think this was also when they introduced the "K" case tranny (but could be wrong).

7. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

I guess I may as well drill the holes then. I have the bracket, so it wont cost anything but time