Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfercase woes!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bruiser, Dec 23, 2000.

1. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Went to town today and stop just before I hit pavement (roads still have about two inches of packed ice/snow by my house) and couldn't get it to shift out of 4HI, finally got into nuetral and went into town, got to where I was going (about 8 miles) and the driveway I had to go into was just packed and was a little slippery, tried to put in 4HI and it grinded a little. Had a meeting so parked quickly went and did my stuff, came back and couldn't get it out of 4HI again, and my rear driveshaft wasn't turning, so drove home with front wheels, got back home and rear was turning again but still can't shift out of 4HI, doesn't look like linkage is messed up and no grinding(clunking or any noise for that matter) except when I was trying to shift it. Anyone had this problem? Is it going to be major tcase overhaul time or should it be easy to fix. In a month I start drive semi-truck and won't have much time to work on it. If it's going to be major will just have to save up some money and have someone fix it for me. Oh is Th400/NP205. Thanks

Vincent Michels 1978 Blazer
    Http://www.bruiser.coloradok5.com

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'm confused about the statement "rear driveshaft wasn't turning"! If the truck is rolling, the rear driveshaft has to turn unless the rear end is totally grenaded. Just the wheels rolling will cause the rear driveshaft to turn. Any more details about what it's doing?

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

3. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Well lets put it this way, at a stop with front hubs free, in 4HI and nuetral the front driveshaft would turn but the rear wouldn't. So in fact no power was getting the the reardriveshaft through the transfercase. Somehow it has fixed itself on that aspect but I still can't shift out of 4HI.

Vincent Michels 1978 Blazer
    Http://www.bruiser.coloradok5.com

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I remember seeing a twin-stick article for a NP 205. It can be made to be front wheel only. Obviously they did it on purpose, but all that prevented it from doing that on its own was an interlock 'pill'. I would suspect it has something to do with the shifter plungers inside your case. Especially if it has 'fixed itself' at least enough to be in 4 hi.
    If memory serves they gained access to the shifter plungers by removing the PTO plate. I think they had the case removed for photographic clarity, but I would think you might be able to at least check this out with the case still in the truck. I think it was the Sept '00 issue of Fourwheeler that had the article. At the very least it would give you a better idea of how the shifter plungers work.

Rene

[​IMG]