Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfluid in the gas?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tecton, Jun 14, 2003.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

is it true if you put trans fluid in the gas it will clean the engine of carbon?

like...1oz per 4 gallons of gas?

2. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

ive heard of dumping little sips of it down the carb with it running. the high detergent of the tranny fluid is supposed to clean it off, if it doesnt foul out your plugs and smoke out the neighbor. just keep it running by working the throttle cause it will want to stall. when i used to do this awhile ago i used to used a little cold water, the cold water hitting the hot carbon will make it flake off without smoking . just dont use to much, just and ounce or two at a time.

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

The water actually turns into steam, thus you are steam cleaning the combustion chamber....

4. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

sorry, never been inside there watching it work.....

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

ATF has a LOT of detergent in it. Dumping it in the gas may clean some carbon off but where that idea came from is truckers. They dumped it in their fuel from time to time to clean out the injectors. Most people with gas engines will send some in through the PCV port.

I have used top end engine cleaner from the dealer. That stuff works. My company van stuck a valve and the mechanic ran some of that through it and it freed up that valve and save a head job. I was chasing a a miss in my supra I ran some of that through it hoping it was a stuck valve. Turned out to be a burnt valve. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Anyway I pulled the head and MAN did that stuff work. what carbon was left in the combustion chamber was flaking off. The valves were pretty clean as well. took mimimal cleaning on the valves to get them back to metal.

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have used top end engine cleaner from the dealer. That stuff works.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Any idea what the name of this stuff is?

7. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

Just dumping it down the TB or carb will not clean out the venturis or injectors, just the combustion chamber. The top end cleaner cleans the whole Shebang

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I have used top end engine cleaner from the dealer. That stuff works.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Any idea what the name of this stuff is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Top end engine cleaner IS the name. It's a GM labled product they will usualy have right behind the parts counter with oil filters and spark plugs.

9. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

you guys ever use that ZMAX stuff?

10. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

i ran atf through a tank of gas. it didn't hurt anything, and i really didn't notice any difference in the way the truck ran after that.

11. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Reaper is right, TOP ENGINE CLEANER, available at your local GM dealer. When i first got my K-5 it ran like...well it didnt really run. I dumped TEC down the carb(follow the directions). It ran so good after that treatment, cleaned it right out. You can also clean the injectors with TEC when you mix it in with the fuel, but its not recommended cause it melts some bosch injectors /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif