Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transgo shift kit

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cuzinjay, Feb 13, 2004.

1. cuzinjay

cuzinjay Registered Member

I just put in a transgo 400-3 shift kit.The problem is that it still shifts automaticly in drive. any ideals?
    It was my first tranny rebuild and every thing else seems fine.
    Except the kitchen table not the best place for a tranny job I guess. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

P.S Great site been a fan for a while,finally joined /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. cuzinjay

It is suspose to make it full man. no auto at all

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

A shift improver kit will still let it shift automatically. It should shift a lot harder now though.

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't know about the transgo kit but i put the B&M shift kit in my Th400 in my camaro. First time i put in the stage 2 kit.. Then i changed it to the stage 3 kit and was kinda pissed when it would shift automatically still- when i thought it was going to be full manual.
    After that, i bought a TCI reverse shifting full manual valve body and put that in... I really like it, The only thing with that setup is there is no engine braking in 1st and 2nd gear. Only 3rd has engine braking.

Also, the teacher for one of my transmission classes told me that it is impractical to be driving around your daily driver with a manual valve body, in addition to having to row through the gears all the time, you will be running the tranny with max line pressure, making the pump work harder and lowering your fuel economy.

In my daily driven '72 K5 i put in a B&M stage 2 shift kit in the th350.. really like it- no slushy shifts... chirps the 35's a lot on the 1-2 shift.. even chirps 38's sometimes.

6. cuzinjay

I would have to say that i am very pleased with the way it shifts. I was ready for it to be full manual and it was not. The more i drive it, I like it man 1st&2nd auto in drive.I was just worried i might have messed something up. This is the first tranny I have rebuilt myself /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I want it to last. If I trashed the thing over some thing like a misinstalled shift kit it would sure be a smack in the pride dept. and wallet /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif though I have had several nice trucks I want this one too be my work/pride/joy. Anybody with enough money a can assemble a nice truck. I would like to build as much of mine as I can /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i use transgo all the time. the shift kit is just that, a shift kit. what you need is the reprogramming kit, that is the kit to make is shift extremely hard or make it a manual valve body.

8. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

I recently put the same kit in my th400 trans in my cucv, it only holds manual 1st gear, doesnt upshift into second holding it in 1st. The shift is firmer through the gears/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. cuzinjay

[ QUOTE ]
    i use transgo all the time. the shift kit is just that, a shift kit. what you need is the reprogramming kit, that is the kit to make is shift extremely hard or make it a manual valve body.

[/ QUOTE ]

The kit I put in was the "transgo reprogramming kit valve body calibration components" The only thing that I think of is that I need to grind the modulator valve more. The directions say "grind two flat spots about 1/4" wide on the big land not fussy". I ground it the way they showed but mabe it needs more.I figured better safe than sorry. Mabe I should just let it alone and call it good.
    Thank you everyone for your help!

10. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

well i couldn't help you then, ive never put the reprograming kit in a 400 sooo /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif