Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission 1991 K-5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PGL4VT, Aug 12, 2002.

1. PGL4VT

PGL4VT Registered Member

I was pulling a Jet boat (with a 455 Olds in it) the other day up a long grade and I noticed smoke pouring out from under my Blazer. I let off the gas and took it easy for a bit and it quit. Was kind of hoping it was a one time deal (very wishful thinking) but no go. It did it again today while pulling a trailer with a John Deere garden tractor on it. It's the transmission. Fluid was all over the back window and sprayed everywhere underneath and the fluid is very dark and smells burnt now. What in the world is going on? The truck has 122k on it. I just changed the fluid (Shell Dexron III) and filter this spring. Do I need a tranny cooler? How much are these? How much trouble are they to install? Any thoughts, ideas, experiences or words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Pat.

2. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the clutches are burned up. Time for a rebuild, and a trans cooler would be very helpful for towing. Heat is no good.

3. PGL4VT

PGL4VT Registered Member

Follow up: The tranny was NOT slipping at all during it's episodes.

4. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Burnt trans fluid is a bad sign. You seem to do lots of towing, so the next cheapest/easyest step is a transcooler. Transcoolers run about $30 to $40 dollars and are very easy to install. You just unscrew one of the stock trans cooler fittings on the radiator and screw on the aftermarket adapter. The cooler is then connected inline between the radiator adapter and the line coming from the tranny. The location of the transcooler should be between the radiator and the engine. You may think that putting it there would not cool it and a better place is away from the radiator...NEGATIVE. Transmissions operate at peak performance at engine temperature(180-220), so by placing it behind the radiator it will help maintain that temperature.

5. Boscolingus

Boscolingus 1/2 ton status

you want to use the biggest, nastiest, crazyiest, HUGEST, HUGEST cooler you can find, stacked coolers as preferable over the tube and fin as they tend to have a better heat convection coefficient as with the tube and fin there is no restriction to actually stop and cool the fluid. Another hot tip ( which I run in my 91K5 w 700R4 ) is a water flashing system. I use 4 nozzles aimed at different locations in the core support to aid in cooling the coolers when going down the road. I have a 3 gallon tank just behind the rear left side wheel wheel that encloses a 95 3800 Series II Supercharged fuel pump ( 47psi - 52psi surge ) that fires quick mists of cool water on the coolers at the touch of a button when I am towing.

6. PGL4VT

PGL4VT Registered Member

I'm gonna change the fluid and filter tonight and I bought the biggest cooler I could find today. $57.00. Imperial by Hayden. Hopefully I have not toasted the tranny.

7. Boscolingus

was thinking about this right before I went to bed, I wonder if there is a slight possibility that the fluid just got soo heated at that moment that is actually spit a bit out of the input seal where the TC slips in. Seeing as how the trans pump is right there, a handfull of seals, and lots of moving parts in the general area. If the same problem happens again, it is more than likely an aged and worn trans - start saving up the pennies now /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

8. PGL4VT

PGL4VT Registered Member

When I was under the truck tonight, it appeared the fluid came out from the top or side on the passenger side. I think this is where the transfer case goes in. I think you may be onto something there. I'm changing the fluid again tomorrow to flush it entirely out. There was not a bunch of stuff in the pan either. I'm really hoping I just toasted the fluid and not the whole tranny. It drives fine. It pulls fine. No slipping. I guess only time will tell. I'm still putting the cooler on. If the tranny goes, then the next one won't with this cooler. Now I know why my brother and granddad run straight drives.

9. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

It might be spitting out from the over flow on the top of the trany/pass.side
    u may have too much fluid in the trany or it is getting to hot

put a BIG trany cooler before it if too late (dead 700)

10. Boscolingus

true, true /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

11. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    The tranny may not be toast. I know a guy who has a 700 that has been spitting fluid out of the top of it like that off and on for about 2 years, so theres something positive to look at /forums/images/icons/grin.gif .

12. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Only an 18000? I got the 24000 from B&M!!

13. Rayven90

Rayven90 Registered Member

My 90 did the exact same thing, only the fluid got to my ezhaust manifold ans started a small fire. Luckily I got it out quick. The tranny seemed fine for about 1000 miles then a vibration began. I probably got another 2000 miles out of it before it refused to shift. My guess is you are going down the same road and should avoid pulling anything heavy and start saving for a rebuild......

Ray