Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission. . . ahhh. . . i think THIS might have something to do with it

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Jun 20, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Well, yesterday, my tranny got REAL hot after a little playing around, not real four wheelin, just playing around in a field. I think the drive there at 50mph is what really killed it though. Anyway, on the way back it started smokin a little and I pulled over. The rest of the way i couldn't even get it into 2nd. I finally decided to change the fluid and wheni drained it i got quite a shock. I remember someone telling me about a drive sprag that could be the reason i have no third gear. They said if it was broke it'd be laying at the bottom of the pan in pieces. Well, instead, i had a 1/4" thick layer of magnetic goo- which I'm assmuming USED to be that sprag. I got a little fluid and I'll put it in as soon as it stops dripping. How many quarts do i need? I'm guessing i really should change the filter too, eh? How much improvement can i expect, based on the photos below?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would say you will see little to no improvment. Sorry to be like that but I have been were you are 4 times now.

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i'll be surprised if that thing will move your truck.that is a lot of metal.looks like the 3 th350 trans i blew in my 67 impala

4. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I'm gonna have to vote for toasted too.... sorry, that sucks. I just got done hastling with that little voodoo box on my truck too. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

Looks better than my old th350, the fluid was pure black.

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I would have to agree. Your tranny is toast. The metal sludge you have in the bottom of the pan is from the steels and clutches. You had alot of slipping going on which ground those parts as they tried to grip.

TH350's are not that difficult to rebuild. I have built a few including the one in my Burb. You need a good book and some special tools, but most competent gear-heads can pull it off. Good Luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Stick a fork in it, it's done...

8. BowtieRed

Ok, let's talk removal- simple? What do i need? Links? Rebuild, I'll get a book- $$$? Walk me through this. . . thanks,
    red

9. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

and that is number one reason why i put a SM465 in my 74.
    tired of blowing the sluch boxes. i was going on my 4th TH350 had i replaced the one i blew n it last. and i only had the truck since 97 and have not driven it in 2 years.,
    Grant

10. BadDog

For rebuild info, I was pointed to Ron Sessions Th350 book for info on what to look for in a rebuild/build-up. Rebuild is not too hard, mostly just little PIA frustrating things and EVERYTHING inside the case is razor sharp.

Removal would be trivial if it were not for the awkard positions and exteem weight. Maybe borrow/buy/rent a trans jack to help. But it takes extra effort to get it high enough with a lifted truck. I was going to make my own. Then I decided it was easier to cut the floors out and go in from the top using a shop crane... New floors will be removable (2 floors L/R + tunnel) so that I will be able to strip my truck to (almost) bare frame in about 1 hour or less.

11. BowtieRed

do i need to removal the t-case? can i just unbolt all hoses and connectors, disconned the linkagen and unbolts it everywhere else, and slowly drop it down? about hosw much does it weigh? sorry for all the questions, but i really need to get this done, we just gave away my other backup car (tax write off was bigger than trade in value /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif ) well this will give me a chance to clean the case up well and maybe lay a fresh coat of paint on it. after i rebuild the tranny then everything in my drivetrain will be new or rebuilt except the t-case /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i can't wait!! my truck is getting nice!

12. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

The tranny has an output shaft that goes in the Tcase so yes you have to remove the case, The best way to do it is, Drop the tranny and tcase together as one, then disconnect them when its on the ground, Thats how i do it, Its pretty easy to take out, Just make sure you have everything disconnected: Kickdown cable, Shift linkage, 2 tranny cooler lines, Vaccum hose, i think tahts it.... Then remove the dust cover that is right under the bellhousing, And then remove the 3 bolts that bolt the Torque converter to the Flywheel, then the bellhousing bolts. then the Tranny-Tcase crossmember, then driveshafts, and then i belive thats it, anyone see anything i left out?

13. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

oh yea one more thing, not trying to question your mechanical know how, but dont forget to Brace the engine somehow before you take the crossmember out, I just put a jack and a piece of wood under the oil pan.... Otherwise when you drop the crossmember the engine will sag in the back possibly Screwing up your Distributor.

14. BowtieRed

yep, my case is already dropped, so i'm sure it would hit. i'd also probably forget that /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    thanks,
    red

15. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I just finished rebuilding my tranny and got it all back in and running.

I bought the book mentioned above. Good book. I wish I had the time to read it all before just tearing into it.

I bought the Hughes rebuild kit from summit. It came with all the frictions & steels as well as gaskets, bushings, modulator, and check balls. It did not come with any of the thrust washers so I went to a local tranny shop and bought those. I also bought a B&M shift kit because I found out that I didn't have a shift kit in there (it barked the tires but there was no shift kit in it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif). I also replaced the t-case output seals and should have replaced the 2 seals in the 205 adapter but didn't.

I used a GM steering column lock plate compressor with a threaded shaft and some nuts and washers to remove the last piston. I made the wire and brake line tool the book sugests. The rest just took regular hand tools, a spare set of hands (thanks Dad!), and some c-clamps. There was also some cussing involved.

Do not forget a SFI flexplate if you don't have one already. Mine was cracket over 1/2 way around! I got some ARP bolts to hold it on as well as some stainless pan bolts. It took 12 qts to fill it back up when I was done.

I used a tranny jack to take it out...that sucked.
    I used a engine hoist to put it back in...much better.
    I thought all k5's had the removable tranny hump /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

16. BadDog

[ QUOTE ]
    I used a tranny jack to take it out...that sucked.
    I used a engine hoist to put it back in...much better.
    I thought all k5's had the removable tranny hump /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    If your talking about my reference to cutting out the floors, my truck had a 2WD cab when I got it, and that's what I cut up for my cowl/floors.

17. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

So its slipping in 3rd and 2nd?
    The bad news is your tranny is probably toast, the good news is it's most likely just all the clutches and steels are burnt up ... thats the black and silver material in the bottom of the pan.
    That makes the rebuild pretty easy if thats all it is, except for that everything is contaminated with dirty atf fluid. Get a new converter when you rebuild it, and use a tranny cooler line flush in a spray can to clean out your cooler and lines. If you're going to rebuild it yourself, after you get it out, first thing i'd do is put the pan back on it and clean the front of the tranny case- all the mud off with brakecleaner or carb cleaner, so it'll be clean before you start disassembling the tranny and you won't get all the parts dirty.. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    If ya take it apart and inspect everything real good, clean it all out, install new clutches steels, bands, maybe thrust washers/ bushings, shift kit, cooler... you could be on your way.
    What i found is my th 350 only had mabye 50,000 on the tranny, and not only were all the clutches and steels toast, but one of the 4 thrust washers wore down to nothing and started grinding the input and output shafts together mushrooming the ends and damaging them. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif At that point i needed to find a whole new tranny to replace the damaged parts. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif It still costed under $500 to do it all myself though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif