Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission cooler in 700r4?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by copedrake, Jul 13, 2006.

1. copedrake

copedrake Registered Member

Which cooler do you think is the best for this tranny? also any secrets to hooking it up or setting it up?

I run the truck alot on the highway and a good amount offroad and with a rebuilt tranny about a year old now, i want to keep it good with a cooler.

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I run a 40K GVWR cooler for my 700R4 and also the radiator cooler. I plumb through the radiator to the large cooler and back to the tranny.
    [​IMG]
    I have replaced the rubber hose with hardlines and the small cooler is my PS cooler.

Ira

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The biggest you can get . Some like to run it alone , I run it in addition to the radiator cooler as well .

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

You should always use it in comjunction with the radiator cooler. That will warm the fluid when it's cold and cool it when it's hot.

Transmissions have an optimal operating temperature and bypassing the radiator cooler can affect that.

Sandawg is right on the money.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

bah... it doesn't get exceptionally cold where I live (cold to the point where synthetic tranny fluid has a problem!) and I like to keep my engine/trans cooling seperate. Let the trans warm up for a few mins before use and you should be fine with seperate coolers... especially down in CA.

j

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Here we go again.....

7. sgarrison

sgarrison 1/2 ton status

I run the trans. cooler separate from the rad., I couldn't manage the temp, especially on the trails. I have a deep pan on my 700R4 and run a BIG B&M cooler with a 650 C.F.M. fan behind it with it's own shroud and a manual switch that I turn on when the temp. gets much over 165 degrees. So far this has worked for me. And no, it doesn't get get that cold around here, but the trans. still gets up to decent temp. even in the winter.

8. jekbrown

still waiting for someone to explain to me how engine coolant... which is room temperature when you start your rig (assuming its been sitting over night) is somehow warming up your trans fluid. Yes, I know that engine coolant heats up rapidly... but its not hot when you first start your rig... and yet somehow all our trannys (even cold weather guys) are just fine.

j

9. balterbuilt

balterbuilt 1/2 ton status

B&M super cooler with electric fan! Keeps mine under 200 degrees no matter if i'm crawling up a trail or hauling down the freeway!

[​IMG]

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

No kidding. Covered ad nauseum in the past.

More like they warm up together. The radiator trans cooler acts as a heater during warm-up and a temp regulator once the engine is warm.

I run it the other way around and my reason is this: The Aux cooler can dump the excess heat, then the rad cooler will either warm it back up (assuming cold country operation) or possibly cool it down more.
    If I only drove in the desert during the warm months there is no way in hell I'd route thru the radiator cooler. I have considered going this way anyway, and using a by-passing oil cooler t-stat.

11. jekbrown

[​IMG]

looks to me like Amsoil is good down to -50 degrees. Can Can aside, does anyone actually drive in temperatures lower than that? Keeping the coolers isolated makes them inherantly more efficient. Nothing wrong with the stock type set up, but I'd rather keep things isolated.

balter: is that fan blowing air down on the cooler or pulling air away from it? How much space is between the cooler and the bedside? Doesn't seem like it would be very efficient that close to the bed...

j

12. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

I run my cooler seperate and up here it can easly get to -30 and below. I haven't had any problems. Although it does shift a little firmer when cold.:wink1:

13. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

I overheated an once when I lost the head gasket. The insanely high coolant temps also cooked the trans fluid so 2 weeks after fixing the eng the tranny went.
    I will never run it thru the radiator again! I had the radiator cooler to a stacked plate cooler back to trans. The 300+ degree eng coolant smoked the fluid and allowed the tranny to fail.
    I now have 2 auliliary trans coolers and an oil cooler hooked to an inline thermostat so the tems stay perfect hot or cold. Get temp guages to monitor things so you can shut it down befeore major damage.

14. copedrake

copedrake Registered Member

where and how would you install a temp gauge to the tranny cooler if i were to hook it up up seperate from the radiator?

15. jekbrown

summit has remote filter kits that include a temp guage. Just put it on the return line before it gets to the trans if ya wanna know how well the cooler is working. Putting one before the cooler would prolly give ya a better idea how hot the trans is tho...

j

16. sgarrison

sgarrison 1/2 ton status

I mounted my trans. temp. sending unit about half way up in my trans. pan. This should give you an idea of the temp.of the fluid the trans. is living on without the extremes in temp. The fluid in the T.C. will always be hotter than anything else, and the fluid coming out of the cooler should always be much cooler than anything else, so taking the reading in the pan should give you a good average.

17. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

That is a whole other can of worms.

Some say put the sender in the return line from the cooler.

Some say put it in the send line from the trans to the cooler.

Others say put in in the pan.

I see it like this:
    Return line might be easy, but it's essentiually the same as putting the sender in the pan.
    Send line has an advantage over in the pan as it will give you an instant idea of when the trans temp spikes in addition to what ever the operating temp is. I don't know about you but I can't monitor a gauge ALL of the time to see one of those spikes. Something about keeping my eyes on the road........

Which leaves the pan. This isn't the fastest reacting location, but if the spike is very short lived then it isn't going to hurt the trans since that overheated fluid will mix with the 'normal' temp fluid in the pan, assuming that the cooler didn't do it's job.
    Since the fluid in the pan is what the trans draws from, I see no point in being able to spot flash temp spikes and prefer to know what the trans is actually getting.

Some people run two senders. One in the pan and one in the send line. A simple switch lets them choose which temp they want to look at. I'm thinking of doing something similar, only with an indicator light temp switches rather than temp senders. Those switches switch to ground, so I could easily wire both in parallel and if either hits it's temp it'll turn on the light. I have a 265* in the pan now, but I'm thinking to move that to the send line and put a ~240* in the pan.

I see ATF as a consumable. If I ever think that I've damaged it from overheating it I replace it. I try not to be that way about transmissions.