Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission Cooler W/Fan

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Smitty, May 12, 2004.

1. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Has anyone used one of those remote transmission coolers that have an electric fan attached to them? If so, how well did it work and did you have any problems with overheating? I'm pretty limited on available space around the radiator and was thinking about getting one of these to cool my th400. I'm not too sure it will cool enough for normal operation.

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Ive never used one but I dont know why it wouldnt work extremely well if the cooler is large enough.

3. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a Derale 12x12? mounted in my buggy behind the seats. It does very well on the trail and okay at higher speeds. I have had the transmission up to 210 or so with it though. On the trail it stays at or below 160 all the time, it only seems to be when I am really running hard on dirt roads that it wants to start over heating.
    My advice would be to use one that was BIG and had the coldest air possible ducted or routed to it.
    It is nice seperating the cooler from the radiator, most people would be amazed at the size rad. that I am using and so far it works. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Vancouver Island but work in Ft Mcmurray Alberta C
    Anyone know of a budget trans cooler, could I find one in a junkyard? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I have a 12x12 stacked plate cooler. I think I'll try mounting a 10" electric fan with a thermostat and just watch the guage.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Budget Stacked plate is hard to do. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Trans coolers can be had through Jegs or Summit for $50-$60 bucks. It's money well spent if you've got an automatic. I stay away from them in the junkyard, but that's just me.

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

not to hijack but i got a question bout these. Im gonna put a trans cooler on mine, am gonna mount in front of grill ,but because i already have a big oil cooler, was worried about restricting flow to the radiator. Would the fan on the trans cooler help w/ the radiator?

9. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I'm not too sure. The cooler and the body of the fan itself will restrict the air flow. I don't think the small fan will bring the air flow back up to where it was before they were installed. That's the one of the reasons why I want to relocate my cooler (aside from the lack of space). I added a large trans cooler and an engine oil cooler to my Blazer and noticed that my engine temps increased. The only thing I could come up was the restricted air flow.