Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transmission cooler

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by anthony stark, Jul 25, 2004.

1. anthony stark

anthony stark Registered Member

I'm installing one today. Which line should be used from the radiator (top or bottom)? If someone has any advive on how to do this please post. My truck is a full size 87 Jimmy 350 700r4. The cooler is 1.5X17X10.

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Normally, the lower line on the radiator is the input from the trans, the upper is the output from the internal cooler. Factory external installations usually went thru the external cooler first then thru the radiator cooler before going back to the trans. This was done for cold weather situations in order to keep the fluid at a warm operating temp. Lots of people run it thru the radiator cooler firt then thru the external. Anyway, the upper radiator line should be the output

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

TCI Transmissions has a chart on their website that tells which line is pressure and return on all the common trannys--there was a link on here a few weeks ago,I didnt save it,but you can find it by typing TCI on google.

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

the lower line out of the 700r4 is the out, top is return... i just did mine, eliminating the radiator..

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

correct...but if its going thru the radiator it feeds in at the bottom and out at the top /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif