Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission CRACKED

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jeremy_C, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

Well......when I through my driveshaft this last time, it somehow cracked the transmission. So NOW i get to go buy a transmission. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Anyways, any reccomendations on what to get? I guess just a plain ole turbo-400. Should I get one out of a camaro or anything like that or are they all the same? /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Where is it cracked at? if it's the bellhousing but the case if ok from the pump housing back and not leaking there might be a way to fix it. There is a kit where you cut the stock bellhousing off and a new bell housing bolts on using the bolts that hold the Pump in. I forget who just did this but they are doing a right up on it I think.
    Looks like a stout set up. Drag racers have been doing this for years. Lots of divisions require a scatter sheild (reinforced bell housing to contain the flex plate/ fly wheel if the dicides to let go).
    The guy who did this I think is doing a write up on it.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

you cant just go buy a plain old t400 out of a camaro or something unless you are going to have it rebuilt first you will need a t400 from a 4x4 you can use a 2wheel drive t400 but you need to change the output shaft and to do that you need to disasemble the tranny to do it

4. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

I'll probably be better off to get one from a transmission shop that has been rebuilt. Probably what I'll do /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

6. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

I would get a th400 4x4 case it is alot stronger in the rear of thr tranny.
    colinthe