Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission Crossover Bar Bent Back (HELP)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tonka64, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Tonka64

Tonka64 Registered Member

I was on my way up too St. Louis, Mo from Springfield, Mo cruising up the interstate at about 70mph when it fealt like I ran something over (nothing in the road) this was near Cuba, Mo, all of a sudden there was a heavy vibration until I slowed the truck down too about 60, stopping you could feel a clunk somewhere under neith the truck ( kinda fealt like the old ford bronco's sliding transfer cases ) I pulled off the 1st exit and crawled under the truck too notice that the crossover bar that the trans bolts too was bent backwards, the middle trans bracket was intact (not broken) just at a odd angle, the drive shafts looked fine and nothing was rubbing under the truck, the cross member on each side of the frame have it buckled slightly but no trans mounts are broke, I was able too drive the truck home but only reaching speeds of 55 to 60 mph, when I would get the truck up too 65 I fealt a slight hum/vibration and slowed the truck back down, I've looked in my LMC catalog for the crossover bar but they dont carry it, does anyone know where I can find a new one and how too bend the frame back flat, would it also be wise too install some type of extra bracing too prevent the crossover bar from bending back again, it doesnt look like a great design as is and from what a mechanic told me most of the older blazers are bent at some degree if not more like mine...please help with any info on this

tonka

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Just curious, did you have spacers between the frame and crossmember?

3. Tonka64

No just metal on metal and the stupid stock looking bolts

4. Tonka64

Its a 1986, 350, 700r4, stock ride height

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Mine did that when it got in the way of a rock that I was climbing over.:D

I had to replace the crossmember and used a comealong and my friends rig to straighten the frame rail and then made some reinforcements out of 2X1/4 flat bar and sandwiched the frame between them when I bolted the new crossmember in.

Ira