Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transmission decision

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Sep 20, 2003.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

finally got some money for the truck. I want to get it back on the road. which would be the easiest and or cheapest? Quickest???
    SM465
    - in 72 3/4 ton parts truck behind the shop
    - hooked up to 205
    - hasnt been run in 15 years
    - needs bell housing and linkage or hydro
    - also gotta get a clutch and flexplate

TH350
    - fubared doesnt shift out of first
    - hooked up to 205
    - already in truck

where is the best place to get a rebuild kit and book for the th350? either one is just temporary until i get the nv4500 but i have to get evrything else ready before that chunk of change and its killin me sittin in the garage.

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Nathan
    69k5 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If it's only temporary, get the TH350 rebuilt as it's the easiest.

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

thats kinda what i was thinking. any odeas on kits, books, sources, ect?

thanks
    69k5

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I had my TH 400 done locally for $375.

5. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

schneggie has one 4sale in the forums pretty cheap w/converter. He just posted it under ORD doubler....

6. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

84 chevy k10
    thats cheaper than what i expected. i still think i want do it myself. good learning experience even though it scares the hell out of me. i found these on a google search. im just not sure about ebay folks.

ebay 1
    ebay 2

money pit

thats a good deal on that one from schneggie if its runnable. depending on rebuild price v/s shipping i may sned him a message. ill have to do a search and get the weight on one of these.

thanks

nathan

7. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

STOP.

Mine didn't shift out of first either. when i started my tranny swap i realized it just had a kinked up TV cable and a completey disconnected vacuum line. it only had 1st and 2½th before that, but then 2½th went (don't worry about 2½th) i did go with the SM465 wswap, and ran into gobs of problems, but it was a learning experience, and it will last longer and do better, so i'm still glad i did it.

8. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

bowtie red

i will have to check that as soon as i get home. im at drill now so it will be monday. i didnt think about that so i havent crawled under there to look at it. what did you mean by 2 1/2 th?? whats scary is i will have to put the rear up on jack stands to check it since she cant move yet. brakes what brakes?? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

thanks
    69k5

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

i still think i want do it myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rebuilding an automatic transmission is not like rebuilding a carburetor. There is hundreds of parts that have to be r&r. It is not worth buying the parts, doing it yourself, having it not work right, and have to have a shop redo it anyway. It is cheap like 350-400 bucks at a shop.

-----------------
    85K5 3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt, 9"lift,35"boggers, 16.5x14welds
    big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

10. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

rjfguitar

gotta admit you have a strong point there. i was looking at the rebuild kits going from 75 - 300 dollars and that one schneggie has doesnt sound bad at all. i just gotta get it past the wife.

thanks for the advice /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

nathan

11. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

i still think i want do it myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rebuilding an automatic transmission is not like rebuilding a carburetor. There is hundreds of parts that have to be r&r. It is not worth buying the parts, doing it yourself, having it not work right, and have to have a shop redo it anyway. It is cheap like 350-400 bucks at a shop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I rebuilt my TH350....it wasn't that tough. I borrowed a buddy's tranny book and a couple of tranny tools and went at it. I even had to replace the tranny case because mine was missing a chunk in the valve body area. In all, including the rebuilt kit, shift kit, case and fluid, I have about $150 in it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Check your modulator and vacuum lines, and get more advise. It could be a very easy and cheap fix. You might not need a rebuild. Good Luck!

13. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

You may not need a rebuild but it could be a good idea just to freshen it up anyways?

14. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

beast 388

150 is not bad at all. i am still undecided. the opinions are about half and half on rebuilding one that i found in my searching.

sdavid

i am gonna check my lines and stuff tonight. if thats all it is that would be great. what all should i check? vaccum line tv cable fluid level (been sittin 9 months) and what else?

rustbucket

if it doesnt need a freshining up i am gonna leave it alone. i also have to get rims and tires for the 8 lugs. i bought 6 lug rims and then decided to go up to 8 lug so i have 4 brand new whit wagon wheels that have never been out of the box.

thabks to all /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    69k5

15. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Your Th350 does not have a TV cable, it has a "kickdown" or detent cable. If that isn't hooked up the tranny will still work fine... just when you mash the gas while in 3rd gear it won't downshift into passing gear. Check to make sure that the vacuum line running to the modulator is good and free from kinks and cracks... also, pull the line off of the modulator. When you pull the line off the modulator, if tranny fluid comes out you need to replace it. If nothing happens your modulator is good. If the modulator is good start up the truck (leave it in park) and crawl under there and put your finger over the end of the modulator vacuum line to see if its sucking.

About rebuilding your own Th350... I did it and the one that I rebuilt ended up not working right. I'm not saying don't try and do yours... but when you do... don't ever say to yourself, "ah it should work even if I don't do (insert something book says to do here)" or it will come back to haunt you. Also, don't rebuild it stoned... that will also come back to haunt you.

ask me how I know. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    About rebuilding your own Th350... I did it and the one that I rebuilt ended up not working right. I'm not saying don't try and do yours... but when you do... don't ever say to yourself, "ah it should work even if I don't do (insert something book says to do here)" or it will come back to haunt you. Also, don't rebuild it stoned... that will also come back to haunt you.

ask me how I know. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

for some reason i can guess how you know. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif i guess this is one of the times when i dont need to have spare parts left over. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I will check ou the vaccum and modulator tonight.

thanks for the help

nathan
    69k5

17. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

I grenaded the governor in my TH400 once and it wouldn't shift out of first. I didn't know what was wrong, took it to a tranny shop, he figured it out in about 20 min, replaced the $30 or so part and it has worked fine ever since. Might be your problem, assuming the TH350 has a governor, I don't know cause I have always had a 400. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

If you put the 465 in now you will have most of the hard stuff done for when you get an NV4500 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif That is the route I would go since you plan on a NV4500 anyway and they are not hard to put in. It will take some patience, time and parts which you pretty much already have most of already.

19. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

The governor is the part that I forgot about. It has a gear on the end of it that can go bad, get rounded out, and keep the weights from spinning properly. You should be able to get it off the case and get a good tranny mechanic to tell you if it looks OK. I have had that problem before is the reason I know some what about, not an expert though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    The Th350 governor is in the little round cap on the DS of the tranny case. You can pull the cap off and twist out the governor and take it to a tranny man to look at. You can give it a little once-over to check it out too, if you hold it so the weights are pointing down and you then push them in towards the center, the little valve in the middle of it should move up and down. Check the whole unit for chunks of debris and other crap, spray it down with cleaner, and also make sure the plastic gear on the end doesn't look all chewed up. That could be the problem too....