Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission Dilema

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Feb 26, 2005.

?

Which Option

1. Keep the 700R4

19 vote(s)
    52.8%
  2. Swap in the SM465 now

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have a dilema on what I should do with my transmission in my truck.

I currently have a 700R4/208 and the 700 is under warranty till August. I am pretty sure the tranny is a good build, but I don't trust 700R4's due to past experience. I will also have an SM465/208 combo with hydro clutch that will be complete and ready to bolt in.

I am moving to Colorado in May and I have to drive my truck 1000 miles to get there. Should I leave the 700R4 in place till it dies? Or should I swap in the manual? May is approaching fast so I am not sure I want to swap out the 700R4 but I am also not sure I want to trust the 700R4 to the 1000 mile drive. What would you do?

Any rational thoughts are welcome along with your vote.

Harley

2. Jimmy4matt

Jimmy4matt Registered Member

We've towed 7,000lb+ dump trailer on the 700r4's in my dads work trucks and even cheap rebuilds will give us at least 2 years before the give the ghost. Why don't you think it'll go 1000 miles?

3. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

if it was me i would just put a good tranny cooler on it and not worry about it

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

As every one knows I am a believer in built Th700's. I wouldn't bother with a 465 unless you are doing a lot of crawling and don't benifet from an OD tranny and need a super low first gear.

I would feel pretty secure on a new built Th700R4, especially if it's still under warranty and you think it's a good build. Do the 1000 mile trip in OD and when you get to your destination, buy a case of beer and some good take out to crissin the new place from the money you saved from having OD.;)

5. Hossbaby50

I have a tranny cooler, external tranny filter, and tranny temp gauge.

I am not so worried about it not going another 1000 miles but I just don't want it to go out on my 1000 mile voyage to Colorado. I have made the drive there and back once. On the return trip about 2 years ago I did in another 700R4. I got home but about 2 weeks later it died.

I just don't want to be in poedunk nowhere with a blown 700R4, that would suck a big one. I think I would trust the 465 alot more for the voyage but I don't know if I want to do the swap now or later.

Harley

6. Hossbaby50

Hell the 700R4 is better for crawling then the 465. As for saving money with the OD I don't know how much I will save. If I don't do the swap I will have that iron pig 465 in the back of the truck on the trip with me. :D

Harley

7. Jimmy4matt

Jimmy4matt Registered Member

Usually they let you know for a while before they go. Watch your transmission temp on the long grades.

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Unless you are completely full in the back with stuff I doubt it will make much of a difference. I've got 150 lbs of audio equipment behind my back seat.:laugh: I would feel more compfortable with a transmission that i have had for a while, especially with a guage so I can monitor, than a 465 that was just swapped in and hasn't had time to pesent it's self as reliable either.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

This is a no brainer for me. Swap in a manual and never again worry about transmission issues.

700R4/NP 208 will out crawl any 700R4 powered truck with any stock transfer case hands down.

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If I had the cash I would say drop off the 700 , and go about your way with the 4 speed .

Since you have a lot invested with it , run it until it starts to die .

I honestly don't know why the other ones died on you , seeing as how many miles I have had on mine since I got it , with unknown miles beforehand , maybe mines not an 83 core ( hope I didn't just jinx myself :ignore: ) :D

11. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

I have a 700r4 pushing 35s through some 4.56s. I make a monthly run between Austin, TX and Atlanta, GA in my K5. Most of the drive is spent in OD at about 80mph. I also wheel on a regular basis. My 700r4 has about 50,000 miles on it, and with the exception of an external cooler, its stock. I've never had a problem with it, knock on wood.

12. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I have an odd vote

that trip should cost at least a few hundred or more in gas right?

just ship the truck up there and dont worry about it!!

you could fly first class and sip a latte while getting a good view of the grand canyon:waytogo:

13. FWP

FWP CRS

If you're going to swap it in at some point anyway, just do it now. Sell the 700R4 while it still works. Have you got the ALL the parts to do the swap? Don't forget, you may also need different length/ style driveshafts.

14. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Thinking about it from another angle, You already have a support group here in the valley if you run into any problems with the swap. How are you looking in colorado. I know there are a lot of good guys up there but will you be near any?

15. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Why work until you have to. Run it till it dies.

16. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

good point, having a dead tranny on a big pass on your way to colorado sounds fun, changing a tranny on the side of the road or having to get towed sounds like no fun, after having so many problems with the 700 r4 I can see why harley would not have any faith in it.

ok, I vote we swap that b!tch in before you leave, I still owe you for helping me swap in a new motor anyways:thumb:

17. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

If you're going to do the SM465 swap eventually anyways, I would go ahead and do it before the trip. That way you won't have to lug a tranny/t-case around. Like already mentioned you can get money out of the 700 while it's still good.

18. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

My vote is to swap it while it is still worth something. I agree with fred and bob. You have a backup rig here and a large circle of friends to help. I think I found a new local driveshaft shop too.

19. chevy_addict

chevy_addict 1/2 ton status

Swap it!

I'll even volunteer to help with the swap. I'm thinking about doing the same in my suburban and would like to see all that is involved before I get in too deep.

Dave

20. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

Swap

Harley I got an idea you can swap me your k5 for my 75. Then you won't have to worry about the 700r4 going out or the swap. Cause you will have a nice th350. :grin: