Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission drain plug for 700R4

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BettyBurb, Dec 29, 2002.

1. BettyBurb

BettyBurb Registered Member

I am tired of the mess when changing transmission fluid/filter. Anybody have experience with installing a drain plug in the pan ??? Is this a good idea, or will I wish I had not done it ??? Is there a recommended location on the pan that it should be intalled or is there any chance of the plug protruding into the pan and damaging or interfering with function of any internal transmission part ???

Thank in advance

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

you can tap the existing pan or you can get a hi capacity pan from numerous suppliers. I am very happy with my TCI pan and its extra capcity helps keep my junk cool, and with a 700R tanny, it could do nothing but help. very cheap help, IMHO.

3. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I have a stock pan tapped for a temp sensor. Mine is at the rear of the pan - not great for draining, but it was the best place for the sensor. I imagine as long as your plug doesn't protrude, any one of the sides would work

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I put a drain plug in the back bottom of the pan. I used the B&M drain.

5. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

If you use the stock pan I would put it at the back of the pan. If you go to a bigger pan like B&M's it already has a drain on it and if you use one watch how it will all go on.
    I say that cause I have a Deep pan and the front shaft is very close to it. But my setup could be different than yours.

Eric

6. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

Personally, I like the addition of the drain plug, but I wouldn't put it in the bottom, there's always the chance something could hit it, which would be less likely if mounted on the side of the pan. When mounted on the side it won't drain all of the oil out, but it will drain enough that you don't get the gush of oil you get with no drain at all. You can either have a fitting welded into the pan and use a pipe plug in it, or install the universal type which only requires drilling a hole to install the plug and fitting into. you do have to be careful with where you mount it, but it only requires you to drain the fluid, look at the pan and how it fits on the transmission and you can see where the space is available. If you go with a deep or larger capacity pan you may have to get an adapter for the filter to lower it to allow for the deeper pan.

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

yes. put a drain plug in. or better yet, I would buy a deep pan with a plug in it. these tranny's are known for overheating tranny fluid, so a larger pan will help it run cooler. but make sure you get one that includes a extended pick up. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

As everyone said put a drain plug.
    Personally I made mine from a nut and a bolt.
    I grinded a couple of deep grooves in the nut, made it like a astle nut, put it upside down on the inside of the pan, and tack welded it in.
    The bolt with a copper washer goes from the outside and seal perfectly, and I have hit it on a rock with no problem, since the nut is on the inside not welded on the outside.
    Cost me 2 bucks for the nut bolt and washer.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif