Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission fluid levels

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by incognyto, Mar 31, 2004.

1. incognyto

incognyto Registered Member

Hello again everyone.

I'm getting really sick of automatic transmission's this is the second time i've had to change my tranny and not had much fun doing it. I actually just read about how you can lower your transmission and transfer case from inside the truck with an engine hoist which I think will save me the next time I have to do it. Well the reason I'm getting sick of automatic tranny's is that this one was rebuild buy a guy. haha. anyway's, I was about to put it in and the TC wouldn't turn, assuming the pumped was screwed I called the guy had to take it back, he changed the pump. good to go, well not really. so I get the tranny in and a transfer case outa an old canadian military truck freebie woohoo. and fire the beast up to see what happen's. then the right side of the tranny start's leaking I'm assuming it's the accumulator something or other. well had to call the guy he gave me instruction's on how to pull that apart and make sure that the oring was seated properly... fixed that... fired her up ... goes through all gear's woohoo, well the I go over to the pops to use the air tool's for some 40's from 35's, also really cool. now the tranny is leaking from the TC and tranny from main seal. it has stopped leaking but I'm assuming that there was just to much fluid in it, plus that's what the guy said that I bought the tranny off of, Would that cause the tranny to run hot and also leak from the main seal? and how much fluid should there be in the pan running in park, up to the gasket or so??? I blew the last tranny on the way back to calgary from red deer where I picked up my 40's with rims for 450 CAN /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm sure it over heated cuz the front seal was blown not sure if you can just relace that seal and go so I just spend 2 hun on a rebuild which gave me more greef in the end. I'm planning on running a rather large tranny cooler bypassing the rad all together, putting that in the box of the truck and running an electric rad fan from pick yer part on it.... that should keep it cool, what temp should a tranny usually run at? during regular load's? anyway's so I'm not blabbering to much talk to you later keep on fo by fo'n /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    the right side of the tranny start's leaking I'm assuming it's the accumulator something or other. well had to call the guy he gave me instruction's on how to pull that apart and make sure that the oring was seated properly..

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't let him rebuild my tranny, seriously. A good guy would of made sure it was ready to go before you picked it up. You shouldn't have to touch anything related to what HE did . As for the temps, it will vary from truck to truck , based on weight and what you carry/tow, as well as outside temps. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

id be scare to run that tranny on what you said the guy said and did. ive rebuild alot of trannys and never had any problems. if the pump wouldn't turn he obvousely never took it apart.

the tranny should hold after rebuilt about 10 quarts including torque converter.

4. bassmannh

bassmannh Registered Member

If you want to calibrate your dipstick, when you have the pan off look at the dipstick with it in place in the tube make a reference on the stick even with the gasket surface on the trans body, when the trans is full, the fluid should be even with with this, I was given this tip from a guy at bowtie overdrives, havent had a problem since /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif