Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission Fluid

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by caryhenry, Oct 15, 2002.

1. caryhenry

caryhenry Registered Member

I just checked my transmission fluid after buying my blazer two weeks ago, and it took 1.5 qts of fluid to get it to the full mark. Just wondering if this could've damaged the tranny?

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

When you checked to see the level, did you smell a burnt smell, and now if you check the fluid, is it red or brown or pink.
    If it's red you are fine, if it's slightly brown, I would change the fluid and filter and most likely you are ok.
    If it's brown, you should drive it untill it fails, because most likely it will soon.
    If it's pink then you have coolant leak in the radiator, to the tranny cooler built in it.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You checked it running after running through all the gears, right? Just makin sure!

4. caryhenry

yes, I drove it about 5 miles and then I checked it at idle. It still smelled sweet, and was pretty much all red. I had planned on changing the fluid this week, and I have some lucas oil transmission additive to throw in there.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Then I wouldn't worry about it, I still like to change fluids whenever I buy a vehicle, but it looks like you might have some kind of leak somewhere if it was 1.5qt low and it's red, unless the PO didn't fill her up right when he did the change, maybe he checked the oil level with the engine off /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. caryhenry

Yeah, so far I've changed all of the fluid except the tranny and the front differential.