Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transmission getting too hot

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mxrcr589, Jun 25, 2003.

1. mxrcr589

mxrcr589 1/2 ton status

a got a 700r4 and i got a temp gauge in, when i drive around it stays like around around 150F but when it gets hot out when i come to a stop itwhat i goes up over 200F, the ideal temp is like 140 -190 read, so i was wondering if anyone elses truck does this , does anyone got a aftermarket cooler?? i have my carpet out and it makes the truck get really hot inside

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I've got an aux. cooler and an autometer gauge with the sender mounted in the pan.

I run about 150 or a little over consistently. There is a little rise when it's hot out, but not much. The temp will rise to about 180 if the torque converter unlocks on the freeway for going up a gradual grade or hill. I don't really like it that high, but the tranny doesn't slip at that temp, so it's probably ok. How long do you have to be stopped before it jumps up as high as it does? That's quite an increase from 150 to 200+. I would say check the fluid level (I'll bet you need more) and add an aux. cooler for $35. If it still does it, I guess you could always shift to neutral at stops, but that would get old pretty quickly. The increase in heat you are experiencing at stops is coming from the torque converter slipping while you're at a standstill in "drive."

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I would hazard to guess that the majority of the guys running 700r4s run an auxilliary tranny cooler. It's pretty well a must if you want your tranny to last.

Go with an 18,000 GVW or bigger stacked plate cooler. Make sure you run it in sequence with your in-rad factory tranny cooler.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the majority of the guys running 700r4s run an auxilliary tranny cooler. It's pretty well a must if you want your tranny to last.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ladies and gents, let me give you a fine example:

My Dad's '97 1/2 ton burb with the 4L60E (a 700R4 electronically controlled) started shifting harshly about 4 months ago after a decent amount of driving. What was happening was that the transmission was overheating and the tranny was told to do that by the computer to keep band slipping (heat generation) from getting too excessive. It felt like there was a drag-ready tranny in there. Anyway, this was going to ultimately lead to the demise of the torque converter. I told him I would install an aux cooler for him, but "nah, it'll be alright" (in the voice only a Dad can have towards his son). To make a not-so-long story even shorter, his tranny blew up on him (torque converter lost it) on the western side of Minnesota (7 hours away) last week Friday. He's driving a rental this week and makes the 14 hour round trip journey back to Minnesota on Friday to get his truck. So, moral of the story...buy a $35 cooler to save you a $2200 (no joke) new transmission. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

im going to be putting a 19,000 GVW B&M cooler and guage from summit pretty soon here. just to be on the safe side..mostly for offroading though..