Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transmission governor change ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by seslick77, Jul 29, 2002.

1. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Anybody know where the governor is located on a 700R4? And how to swap it out. Chilton manual not much help with this. Truck was a diesel and is now sportin a 400. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Please tell me I don't have to drop the pan AGAIN!!

Also on TV cable... when you change it out, is there something to hold it on to the bent spring loaded thingy in the trans.? (sorry for the technical terms /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ) Seems like it would want to slip out of the hole on the end of the cable.

Will it hurt to drive the truck without changing out the gov.? Allready swapped in a new converter. Just want to test drive it around the block a couple of times for tuning.

Thanks!! Sam

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, 200's are "deep" inside, so you gotta remove the pan, but not sure on the 700. Is there a round cover on the drivers side near the rear, with a big "wire" retaining it? If so, thats the governor.

TH350's and TH400's are this way, I'd be surprised if the 700 governor is in a different location than the TH350. If you've got another governor, then just swap it, if not, I know you can buy Th400 "governor re-calibration kits" they should have the same thing for a 700.

Barring that, do some web research on modding the governor, its pretty much as simple as changing springs and adding or removing weight from the assembly. (but you've got to be careful doing so obviously)

As I recall, TV cable has a "step" in the end of it, that goes into the TV "lever" inside the trans. As long as the cable is bolted to the tranny, unless someone physically takes the pan off or the cable end breaks, I don't see that coming off.

Won't hurt the truck to not change the gov., but shifting will be either too late or too early, diesels usually shift VERY early, because of the low end torque. You can manually shift it though.

3. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

the 700 governer is inside the round cover on the driver side of the trany toward the rear . just remove the cover and pull on the gouverner it should rotate as it being pull out . olso check the gear for wear . istalation is the reverse of removal ONE THING TO WATCH FOR , NEVER ,NEVER, NEVER TAP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CAP when putting the cap on as it control end play of the governer.

u can drive the truck like this olso the only bad thing is going to be early upshift and low rpm wot(wide open throtle)

one more thing make sure to get the adjustment to the tv cable right, because it control the boost pressure in the trans. and if it's not ok u'l fry the s**t out of it. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

4. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Cool, thanks for the help fellas! I won't lose any fluid when I do this? This cap just pops off like a wheel bearing dust cover?

5. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

A few drop maybe,but to be sure,jack up the rear

and it like a wheel bearing cap only biger (somtime a bit harder to remove but i'm sure u will be just fine) /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif