Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission gurus... a pointer if possible?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jms, Feb 2, 2006.

1. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Not truck but GM related (Mods: just posting here for initial exposure, if it needs to be moved that's fine with me)

Anybody can give me a hint where I could find a transmission overhaul/rebuild manual for a '61 Buick with the Dynaflow tranny? EBay and the Buick internet forums have been non-productive up to this point. I've read up a bit on these trannys, but haven't seen torque specs for bolts etc.

A 1961 Buick Invicta Custom found its way into our garage last week, in reasonable shape, has a 401 (with a 325hp/445 tq rating) that leaks like a sieve (probably rear main seal), insists on putting a little bit of oily substance (probably engine oil at this point, but could be tranny fluid) in the coolant, and a tranny that doesn't drive in L. Interior is o.k., benches a bit ratty, and floors have rust but haven't found any holes yet. Drives straight, brakes straight, and has a safety buzzer that can be dialed to come on at a certain speed. Didn't know about this when I drove her home, and almost had a heart attack when I stepped on it on the freeway for the first time. BTW, that motor moves the car quite well. Tranny rebuild is in order, found kit(s) but no book as of yet. Motor probably needs a rebuild as well, but at a later stage - I may just do the seal when the tranny is out. Help on where to find literature would be appreciated.

In the pic it looks more bling than it really is, shooting at night in the garage with the flash will do that...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Nice :waytogo: I guess the the whole car/truck thing has got you by the booboo :wink1:

3. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Yup - with a fleet average of 26 years...:rolleyes: And just to point that out: Claudia is just as guilty on this one as I am... :laugh:

We're actually not quite sure why we got the Buick in the first place... maybe there was some deeply hidden inner urge to once own a classic American car.

I hope I can manage to not let this intrude too much into my truck plans, and there's still that 1-ton crewcab I'd like to acquire - not that I really need that either...:rolleyes:

Anyways, this is more like a long-term project, but it's going to be a driver, not a show car where you can't get closer than five feet because the paint could get hurt... :laugh:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006