Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transmission help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Orangatangin, Feb 21, 2001.

1. Orangatangin

Orangatangin Registered Member

I need some desperated help. I just put in my new transmission (700r4) and got everything hooked up. My problem is that my tranny won't even go into gear. I have the linkage hooked up and it turns into the tranny but nothging engages. I have the fluid level checked perfectly. There are two wire connections that aren't hooked up because thay are broken. One goes into the tranny and the other to the transfercase. Would this prevent the transmission from going into gear? Thanks for the help.

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Are you absolutly, positivly sure that the tranny is good. Did you pull it out of a junkyard in other words? i haven't a clue. try fixing the links, but i would think it would still try to go into gear

[​IMG] Keep your feet dry [​IMG]
    http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com

3. Orangatangin

I'm not absolutly positively sure. But I bought it off one of the guys from these forums a few months ago. He said it was just rebuilt and had less than 200 miles on it. So I figured it would work. Thanks

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Are you sure there's enough fluid in it? It should take a LOT of fluid to fill it up the first time. My Turbo 400 took about 14 quarts when I first installed it. The gears didn't engage until the 2 or 3 quarts went in.

Also, did you get the tangs on the torque converter fully seated into the pump before you tightened the tranny to the engine? If not, this will waste the tranny pump. That's a pretty common gotcha for first timers.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

#1... STOP RUNNING THE CAR!!!! I'd pull off the pan again if everything is hooked up if the linkage is shifting the car. You may of blew one of the valves out in to the pan, but see if anything is there in terms of springs, valves, bands, clutch etc.. I saw this in a camaro a few months back at the shop and pulled the pan and found the regulator valve in the pan.... blew out cause the dork tried to put in a shift kit... I sent him to our tranny guys and it was run for so long the tranny was shot. But anyways... if the shift lever on the trans moves and it doesn't go into any gears something is wrong inside. Also are your sure the lever arm is in right... I could see how you could line up the ratcheting piece wrong or forget it. Good luck

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

6. Orangatangin

Allright guys I fixed it. What happened was that I checked the fluid after I filled it up and it was full. But then I checked today and It didn't register on the stick. So in goes the fluid and now it works! WooHoo! How stupid is this? I'm just glad it runs and works now. Thanks for all the help.