Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TRANSMISSION HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by red89gmc, Apr 10, 2001.

1. red89gmc

red89gmc Newbie

I need to have my th700r4 rebuilt. Does any one know of a good transmission guy in Georgia? Should I order a rebuild transmission from one of the big on-line companies like Jet, or "The Raptor?" Should I buy a special kit that is superior to all others and find a guy to install it? If so what kit? Thanks, I need all the help I can get.

2. flcpl4fn

flcpl4fn 1/2 ton status

where in ga are you?

'85 Jimmy in Jax, Fl

3. LittleJimmy

LittleJimmy 1/2 ton status

If i was you, after i got it rebuilt I would go get a larger trans pan. They are not that expensive and will help your trans alot. Especially if you play with your truck a lot. The one I went with is cast aluminum with cooling fins on it. Bolted up just fine. Although you will have to remove the dust cover, no big deal. And i have heard some guys putting in another trans cooler even. I will get one eventually. Just a suggestion. Later LittleJimmy.

Andi forgot the larger trans pans have drain plugs on them too which is a bonus. Later LittleJimmy<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by LittleJimmy on 04/10/01 08:52 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

4. red89gmc

red89gmc Newbie

I am located in Atlanta, but if needed I drive an hour or so away. Thinks Guys

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

You should get one of those super duper 700R4's that's in like Jegs and such! I think they're like 1500...but a rebuild costed me about a grand when I had mine rebuilt and that one will prolly last longer. Be sure to put a cooler on if you don't already have one!

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

6. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

If your are going to swap it out make sure you flush the lines that go to the cooler, they can hold particles that will eat up a new tranny.

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I think GrimReaper is in your area? I'd ask him...I'm sure he'd know of someplaces or know of someone that does....I'd go with the larger pan as mentioned. With that a good cooler if you don't have one (I need a better one &lt;blah&gt;). Be careful not to go cooler crazy. Too cool can be bad as well (doesn't allow fluid to heat up enough to do it's job right)....just get a nice medium and all will be good.

Stephanie
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    "What if the hokey pokey is what it's all about?"