Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by protechk5, Apr 6, 2005.

1. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

I just put a 700r4 that is suppose to only have 10,000 miles on it. I put it all in and now im left with it not shifting right and also a strange buzzing noise? I tried adjusting the tv cable but that hardly makes a differece? You really have to get on it to get it to upshift and when you stop it doesnt even try to downshift. I took it in a shop, and they couldnt fix it, but they didnt seem like they had any idea of what they were doing at all, so iam going to take it to a better transmission shop. Any idea what is wrong with it? Any help would be wonderful thanks alot

2. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

the two easiest solutions are adjusting the tv cable and checking the governer is another good suggestion. it countrols shift points

3. bluehen

bluehen 1/2 ton status

I have that buzzing noise too. Post up if you come to a conclusion as to what the heck that could be.

4. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

another possible weak point is the servo.

5. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you governor has siezed up. It can be got to easily. Its that cover on the rear end of the trans driven off the tail shaft. Take it out and the levers (the wieghts) should move freely and move the valve inside the shaft freely and the plastic gear should look good also, if not get a new governor and readjust you tv cable. Best if you use a line pressure gauge to get ideal tv cable adjustment. 60 psi idle and 90+ at the blip of the throttle.

6. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info, ill check out the governor in the morning

7. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

well i took it in to the shop and they said it is trashed, they said there are tiny bits of metal in the governor. I bought this tranny used from a guy on here and he said it had less than 10,000 miles on it. do you think i could just replace the governor? since ive put it in, i havent driven more than 20 miles but it kinda seems like the more i drive it the better it gets with shifting? the guy on here said that its been out of the truck for a while?

8. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

there is one way to find out if you need a new tranny....

drain the fluid... if you have metal all over the place then you need a new tranny. If the fluid looks good then replace the governer... you can get away with a little metal but when the pieces get bigger than "shavings" is when your tranny has lost a huge chunk of its life.

9. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

yeah doesnt seem to see any metal at all in the pan, how hard is it to replace the governor and where can i get one?? they said that the whole thing needs to be replace but maybe i can get them to just replace the governor, I just need this tranny to last at least me another year