Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigblazer433, Aug 2, 2005.

1. bigblazer433

bigblazer433 Registered Member

Well my tranny finally went out on me and i need some help on deciding what tranny to replace it with. Its an 87 Jimmy witha TBI 350 and a 208 t-case and the tranny is a 700 R4. So should I stick with the 700 R4 or go with something else.
    Oh ya the trucks on stock 10 bolts with 36" tsl's and I do only mild off road trails.

2. chadwinstead

chadwinstead Registered Member

I'm wondering the same thing.

I just had my third tranny in 2 years go out on me. This is not a daily driver and not much hard offroad yet. I have an 87 Burban same setup.

3. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

id stick with the 700r4, keep what milage you have.

get maybe a mild stall and a street style shift kit, it might help if you listed any engine mods and your gear size too..

just make sure if you have it rebuilt you get the best internals you possibly can, install a magnetic drain plug and a bigger Trans cooler, any decrease in trans temp is a great thing to improve performance and longevity..