Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission ID

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 3 on the tree, Dec 22, 2004.

1. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

How do I determine which 3 speed tranny my Blazer has? The owners manual lists 3, Warner, Saginaw, Muncie. Is there a tag somewhere on the trans that will identify it?

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

back in the day saginaw was 7 bolt side cover, muncie 4 bolt cover and warner im not sure

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

theres more!

GM had used the "Tremec" heavy duty 3 speed in some trucks also--I had a 75 K5 2wd 6 cylinder that had one--they have 5 bolts on the bellhousing instead of the usual 4 bolt pattern used on the other GM tranny's--I almost broke the ear off that 5th bolt on mine,trying to pry the tranny out with a bar,so I could put a clutch in it--never knew there was another bolt dead center at the top of the tranny,till my brother told me about that tranny having a 5th bolt!!..:blush: --I ended up putting a saginaw 4 speed in its place from a 75 vega--bolted right in,and the mount and drivshaft went right back in like it was made for it!--just had to use the crappy vega shifter with it,the only disadvantage to the whole swap..:crazy: