Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission input and output seals!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by eshorvath, Oct 15, 2002.

1. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

I have Tranny gear oil (manual tranny) leaking out the front of the tranny, BAD>>>>
    Has anyone replaced these seals? How do you do it?
    Where can I order these on the net?
    How hard is it to do yourself?
    Please HELP!!

2. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Any suggestions???

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I pulled the front bearing retainer off of one of my Sm465's the other night, and didn't see any actual seal for the input shaft. Looks like the only seal is the one for the bearing retainer to tranny case up front.

You can try contacting http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/sm465_parts.htm and see what they can help you with, but I sent them an email and never heard back. Not what I like to see in a company.

Other than that, large transmission rebuild or parts places should be able to get that gasket, or point you to someone locally that can.

I really don't see that one leaking though, unless the bolts are loose or it was taken apart and not replaced with a new one. It's a thin gasket, and the one I pulled off must have been 1976 vintage or so, and was in perfect shape. There is a drainback passage that gasket seals though, so if it HAD failed in that location, or was loose, fluid would likely run out pretty bad.

The replacement isn't hard at all (4 bolts for the retainer) but getting at them would require the tranny to be pulled back from the block, so the reatainer could slip over the input shaft, and the new seal put in place.

4. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

where is that oil drain-back on the tranny? Where can Tranny oil leak from at the front of the tranny if there is no input gasket seal?
    I am loosing more tranny fluid from it than I EVER want to. Drips every 1-3 seconds. Not just a little smudge of oil.
    I cannot believe all the oil in the tranny, transfer case area. I know the front output seal is bad, and I have the seal to replace that. But want to wait to see if there is an input seal leaking on the transfer case, or an output seal on the tranny also. And I need to fix this leak agt the front of the trany before it starts snowing.
    Any help is appreciated....

5. dyeager535

I'll have to look real closely a the input shaft. When I took the retainer off, it really didn't appear there was a seal there. Someone here may know for sure, that novak kit I linked to shows a few seals, not sure what for though. It would have to be small if it sealed the input shaft though. Still in my garage, and loose, so I can pop it off quickly tonight.

There is a cutout on the underside of the retainer that allows oil to return to the tranny case if it gets through the front bearing. If it didn't have a return to the tranny case, it would probably pour out the input shaft opening in the retainer, which makes me think there is no reason for another seal. If there was a seal on the input shaft, I don't really see a need for a return oil path, since its not under pressure, and would still pass through the bearing once the area filled up with fluid. But thats just speculation.

I'll check tonight unless someone knows for sure if there is another seal there.

6. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

I was told by a transmission shop that the front bearing seal, at the input shaft is known for going bad, and that it is common for once it goes bad to leak Trany oil EVERYWHERE.
    I got the entire gasket/seals set for the 465 and 208 for 54.00 including shipping. Napa could not come close...
    I will post the directions sent with the kit once I get it on Friday.
    Ed

7. dyeager535

You get that kit locally or not? The novak one looks to be $14.50 and fairly complete.

As a matter of fact, in that novak picture, in all the gaskets there that are "piled up" you'll see a small round gasket, then another round one directly below it. THAT'S the input bearing retainer gasket. Different design than mine, but that gasket has a cutout just to the right of one of the bolt holes. That should be for the fluid passage I'm talking about.

8. dyeager535

For anyone curious, there is in fact a small seal that is pressed into the front bearing retainer. Extremely easy to replace once you get the tranny back from the engine.

Just 4 bolts to remove that retainer, and peel the old gasket off. Pull old seal out, press in new, replace retainer to case gasket, and your done!