Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission is dead... have a question

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by rocko, Sep 3, 2002.

1. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, this is Pam (Rocko's wife). We have a lifeless computer at home so I'm posting this for him since he doesn't have access. He needs to know if the 700r's from a diesel blazer are the same as from a fuel injected? He's been offered one from an '85 fuel injected and just wondering if it will bolt right up to the diesel. And is the torque converter also compatible?

2. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The transmissions are virtually the same and will bolt right up. However, the gasser torque convertor has a higher stall speed than the diesel. Also, the governor on the gasser will cause the shift points to be higher. I've been told that a gasser 700 won't hold up behind a diesel, but I've been running a 1990 gasser 700 behind my 6.2L for over 5 years and 50,000 miles with no problems. I actually prefer the higher stall speed and shift points.

Casey

3. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    A new governer for a 700 is under 20 bucks, and if you tell them you have a diesel they will give you the right governer for your truck. The governer is under that circular shaped lid that sticks out of the drivers side of the tranny, just pry the lid off and the governer comes right out. You could probably get a rebuilt TC for under a couple hundred bucks, then your 700 would be exactly the same as a stock diesel 700

4. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Thanks Casey and Dan, your info really helps a lot and answers several questions. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

One more, would it be beneficial to stick with a diesel TC or just buy a new gasoline type TC for a 700r? Casey, what did you use?

5. René

René 1/2 ton status

You can use the old TC from your diesel. With a TC from a gasser you dont become lucky. Thus you need a higher rpm for start.