Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission jerking

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Marshall, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

well when i shift my 87 Gmc Jimmy from park into drive it has somewhat of a jolt(700r4). Is this normal.....should i hold the brake while its engaging or just let it go. which is less harmful to the transmission.

2. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

what's it idlin at? got good ATF? there is too much friction in the converter, and it's prolly either bad ATF or high idle.

3. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

it idels pretty high no shake in the motor. I had changed the ATF when i put the tranny in. But when i check the fluid, the first time i check it it looks kinda blackish and the second the fluid looks really clean(like brand new). I think that was left over from the old fluid in the torque converter. I had a previous transmission in my truck and it jolted the same. when i say jerking i mean it goes into gear kinda hard and then pulls foward, maybe its normal or something else?

4. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

if it did it before i'd say it's gotta be high idle. that's assuming you have a new converter as well.

5. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

actulley i did used the torque convertor provided from the transmisson that i had put in its not new, and my truck used to idle really Shi**y. I just changed all wires plugs ingnition module and coil, that is why it idles higher.But previosly when it idled slower it still had a jump.I think everything is fine but when shifting from park to drive should i have my foot on the break or not. Which is easier on the tranny?