Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission lines

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wheelnut46, Aug 11, 2002.

1. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

This should be a nice easy question for most of you guys out here, but since I'm still learning, maybe someone could explain it to me.
    I started installing a transmission cooler on my truck. I mounted it according to the directions but the directions instructed me to connect to my transmission oil return line from the radiator. Which tube is that? Top or Bottom? My chilton manual doesnt provide any usefull information about that either. Also have you noticed that there arent any extra holes in the radiator support through which to run the cooler hoses? What did you guys do?

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

one of the easiest ways to distinguish which line is the return is to disconnect one of the lines, have a second person crank the engine over, watch the lines and see where the fluid comes out. if it comes out of the line you disconnected, the other line is the return. if the fluid comes out of the cooler on the radiator, the line you disconnected is the return. be careful when cranking it over as it won't take long to see the fluid, if it goes too long it will make a mess. as for the lines you could use a hole saw to make the holes for them to pass through, but usually there is enough space between the radiator tank and core support to fit them through, if necessary once you see where they will run you could bend the core support enough to prevent pinching the lines. don't try to make too sharp of a bend with them, it could cause them to pinch shut.

3. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Follow your cooler lines from the radiator back to the transmission. The return line always enters the case on the top. When I did mine I ran the lines through a hole in the front sheetmetal that the a/c lines when through. Hope this helps.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

on the radiator the top line is in the bottom is out

5. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help.