Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transmission mount

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txfireman, Oct 30, 2002.

1. txfireman

txfireman Registered Member

I have broken my transmission mount twice now and am frustrated. the first time I took it to a frien who can weld cast iron and that held for awhile, but it broke again. it is an odd mount that acts as the adapter between turbo 350 and NP 205 and bolts to crossmember. any ideas to add strength/modify? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Get another one it should be cheap... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gifand if you break that one, thats probably not the prob, have you checked the engine mounts...They might be worn causing the motor to twist too much .... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That's the transfer case adapter that's broken. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Replace it with a good one and indeed, replace the motor mounts. If the motor moves around too much then the stress gets placed on the adapter and its mount. Also make sure that your rear driveshaft isn't too long. If it is bottoming in it's travel when the suspension is compressed, then the t-case or adapter will break. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif and by the way it's not an odd mount, not if you have a K5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had the same problem. Pretty common on those tall adapters. Not cheap from the dealer either (the only place I could find a new one). I get a discount and it was close to $200. My original was a 1980 and I noticed a slight difference in the new one (seemed beefier without the hollows of the original). Originally I had poly t-case mounts and rubber motor mounts. I put the ORD motor mounts in and kept the poly t-case mounts and no troubles so far (the 350 has been replaced by a 700 though, but the adapter is still the same).

You could have one machined out of steel (not sure on what a local shop would charge). I have thought about it myself and discussed it on here before (try searching), but making it stronger would only make something else the weak link (and I fear it would be the transmission housing). People have discussed using an L bracket like the old style 205 on the pre 73 rigs to help out in this department, again debatable on what the effects might be (good vs. bad).

6. txfireman

txfireman Registered Member

thanks for the help, i thimk i may try building a custom mount from square tubing and thick rubber for some cushion. definitely cant afford the 200 dollars or more and the dealership here cant get me the mount anyway!

thanks,
    txfireman /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

When mine broke I found a used one. When I got it in the mail I noticed someone had welded a steel plate to the bottom to make the bottom part a bit stronger. Been going strong since.

I don't know how damaged your old mount is but welding a brace might keep it from happening again.