Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission Mounting

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SummitXMK, Jun 6, 2001.

1. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

I have a 78 K5 with a 400 th350 203 that has problems with eating Transmissions. I am wondering if it is mounted in correctly. Where the crossmember mounts to the fram there are rubber bushings that the bolts go through. On My truck they are on the top of the Frame. I was wondering if they are supposed to mount between the frame and the crossmember? I just found this site and it looks like the place to be if you have a Blazer!!
    Thanks in advance.

78K5 Cheyenne

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

should be 4 altogether 2 on top and 2 on bottom... I had to replace mine do to the fact that my engine mounts were worn out, did you check those. There was so much give in my motor mount that it cracked the bell housing...I also replaced them all with polyeurothane.

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

There should also be 2 angled peices of steel with little donut shaped mounts (4) that go from the frame to the 203

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

4. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

I only have rubber mounting on the top of the frame. I don't have any angled peoces of steel that go from the frame to the 203. I did have a steel bar theat went to the 203 but I needed a new transfer case and I ended up with one out of a 76 which didn't have the holes for it. The reason I ask is because I am rebuilding the 78 203 and putting in a new tranny. I think I will go with all new eruathane bushing. How much did they set you back?

78K5 Cheyenne

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I don't remember how much everything was, don't forget to check your motor mounts... And oh yeah red looks really cool[​IMG]. I think around 60$ and be sure to get the right ones they try to sell you 2 wheel drive mounts and our tranny's are different. The top ones are bigger than the bottom ones and kinda C shaped to fit over the top of the cross member, and the bottoms are about the same size as a pack of smokes. the brand name is energy suspension...

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I dont know if I mis-read the others post. But there shouldn't be any rubber mounts between the frame and crossmemeber. Just between where the tranny/t-case mounts to the crossmemeber

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Right, just on the cross member. I think thats what summit was trying to say...