Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission Oil Cooler

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by anthony stark, Aug 2, 2004.

1. anthony stark

anthony stark Registered Member

I have an 87 Full size Jimmy. The aftermarket coolers are attached with plastic retainers through the radiator. I would rather convert the engine oil cooler into the xmission oil cooler if this is possible because of the secure mounting hardware. What i'd like to know, is this is possible, also did these rigs come with a factory xmission oil coolers?

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Mine came with both - tranny and engine oil cooler.

I have replaced the mounting straps for my tranny cooler only once and that was during a radiator r&r. Keep both coolers and
    don't worry about those straps unless you plan on something unusual/extreme with your ride /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The aftermarket coolers are attached with plastic retainers through the radiator.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I must warn you aobut this. Just last week, the plastic ties going through the radiator that hold my tranny cooler on wore a hole in the core of the radiator and caused it to leak pretty severely. I suggest fabbing up your own brackets to mount the cooler. Or, if your like me and dont care about your ac condensor, push them through there. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    -Harrison

4. Don't use the plastic retainers. Get some 1"w X 1/8th thick flat stock and mount it right behind your grill on the radiator support. Thats what I did. I have the engine oil cooler on one side and the tranny cooler on the other.

5. anthony stark

anthony stark Registered Member

What I need to know is if the factory xmission oil cooler came mounted with brackets like the oil cooler. If so, I'll pull one from the junk yard. If not, I'll use the engine oil cooler.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I used some real thin sheetmetal to, "hang" mine from the radiator support, then used a piece of thick plumbers tape to keep it from bouncing around.

Had it mounted this way on two trucks, NO issues so far.

It's all the way up front, so it gets the max available air that way.