Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission Oil cooler

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JHG, Dec 26, 2002.

1. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

I am putting a huge oil cooler on my ´81 K5. When I placed it in front of the radiator I noticed it blocks nearly half the rad.

I know that ther should be a less heat from the trans into the rad because of the cooler and the that the heated air will pass the rad and cool it a bit, but I was vondering if this block from the cooler could lead to an overheating situation.

I was thinking I should perhaps put the cooler somewhere else with its own fan but are not sure where to put it.

My truck had a 2 row radiator without overheating but has a 3 row rad now so it should not be a problem but still....

My truck has a 350ci/TH350, 4.88 and 38" tires.

So if I sum it up:

1) Could this lead to an overheating situation?
    2) Should I put the cooler somewhere else?

Thanks in advange,

Jon H. Gudjonsson
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I dont think you'll have a problem and that is most likely the best place to put the cooler. I say stick it on and see what happens. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I would say No and heres why
    I turned my A/C condenser into a tranny cooler and I think you know how big that is. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. I don't know how warm it gets in Iceland, But in Denver Colo it was quite warm here last summer and my 83 did just fine. The way I did mine was I ran the hot ATF to the cooler then back though the rad. so I would not over cool the ATF and so far it looks like it pulls some of the heat out of the rad. Sometime soon I will put a temp guage on it to see what it's doing.

Eric

4. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I will try it then /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Its definitely a lot hotter in Denver than in Iceland /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jon H. Gudjonsson