Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transmission or x case

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85GMCJimmy, Apr 15, 2001.

1. 85GMCJimmy

85GMCJimmy Registered Member

well i was driving down the road, and heard a clunk and could not go forward or backward, i tried every gear, is it the x case that's broke or the transmission? it's a 700r4, and i have a lead foot sometimes. you can see the drive shaft move a little when put in a gear, but not enough to go, when testing out the gears, then i put it in park you could hear a hear grinding sound.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 85GMCJimmy on 04/15/01 07:41 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Need a little more info. Try disconnecting the rear drive shaft and engaging 4 hi or lo and see if it moves. Could be axle related. With the drive shaft moving a little, hard to say.

3. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

i think it is your x case but with out more info its hard to tell

Bandit
    (Your right i dont understand the jeep thing)

4. 85GMCJimmy

85GMCJimmy Registered Member

when trying other gears, such as drive and such, when put it back in park i heard a gear grinding sound,

5. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with my 77 K5 the other day and it turnes out I didn't have my transfer case fully engaged. I just got my Blazer Friday and am not used to it yet.