Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission pressure gauge?

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by jms, May 22, 2006.

1. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Getting ready for a tranny rebuild (nope, not the truck; I hope I won't need that anytime soon - it's my '61 Buick :D ) and I'll need a tool to measure pressure. Recommendations where to get one would be cool; I assume my old engine compression gauge would not be suitable. Also, this is not for professional use.

Advice is appreciated, thanks, michael

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Poke around on www.bowtieoverdrives.com I seem to recall that they sell a pressure gauge and hose for setting up the throttle valve cable on a 700R4 properly.

3. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

The bowtie people kick butt:bow::bow:
    George

4. jms

Harry, thanks for the link; they do have a gauge as part of the istallation tool kit.

Thanks, michael

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i am wondering if i should do this instead of taking it to a tranny guy.
    700r4

6. jms

I'm scared of touching my 700. I'm mulling over the output shaft issue when mating up a 700 and a 203 - I'll probably end up drilling the 203 rather than tearing into what appears to be a perfectly good 700...

I do have professional help for the '61 Buick - the recognized transmission guru :bow: for those years is going to assist. He's 86, so I'll better do it soon...:D

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

me to. there is so much stimiga attached to setting up the tranny right, it just scares me to jack up a thousand dollar tranny

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Swapping the output shaft is EASY. I helped a guy swap a 4WD output shaft into the '87 Corvette trans that I have. It took less than 45 minutes and we weren't even working fast. Pull the front pump, unhook the large band around the main cluster, then lift the whole cluster/gear assembly out as one unit, unclip the C-clip that holds the output gear in place and you're half done already. :) Slide in the new output shaft, clip it, then reinstall the rest and seal it up. I was amazed at how little effort was involved.

9. jms

Sounds like it, but I've never touched a tranny before...
    The way I see it, I have ONE good 700R4, but TWO NP203 range boxes... so I figured I'll try and drill 1 range box first. That way, if I mess it up, I have enough left over for plan B....:D