Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transmission problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 78Blazerblue, Mar 26, 2006.

1. 78Blazerblue

78Blazerblue Newbie

I bought a blazer sometime ago to learn about fixing cars. Up to now I really haven't done anything except change the oil, and replaced the water pump. Before it got warm out and time to take the top off, I thought it would be a good idea to start going through the maintenance items listed in the font of the Clinton repair manual.
    My first plan was to drain the Transmission oil and replace the filter. I took the pan off and let it drain for a couple of days in the garage. Then replaced the filter and gasket, and added the new fluid. Feeling pretty good about my small acomplishment I went to take the car out for a ride, however the truck will not go into gear now. What could I have done to screw up my transmission? I search this site and did not find anything.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

It won't go into any gear at all? Does it lock into Park at least? Does it just feel like it's in neutral all the time? When you check the fluid using the dipstick, as per the manual, it's in the normal range?

3. 78Blazerblue

78Blazerblue Newbie

It does not go into any gears. It feels like it is neutral. I am to new to this, what do you mean 'lock in Park'? When I first put the new fluid in, the dipstick read low. I figured I could let the car heat up to determine the right amount of fluid. Once I could not get it in gear I added more. The Clinton manual mentioned that not enough fluid could cause the car not to go into gear. Right now, I think I may have too much. Thanks for the help.

4. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Sounds like its low on fluid. Start the truck and run the gear selector through all the gear. Then, with it in Park or neutral, check the fluid level. The proper way is for it to be fully warm, but if your low when cold, you'll see it here also. The fluid will expand some while warm, so leave it a bit low on the stick and check it warm.

If all you did was change the filter, you are probably low on fluid. - you did put it together the way you took it apart, right?

5. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    Maybe filter issue? There are two holes in the filter that have to line up with the valve body, that complicated mass of steel and aluminum. Hard to screw up, but... Did u know that u can also visually inspect some clutch plates thru the valve body. but you'd have to be familiar with what the partz look like out of the case. Sorry to babble...

6. bigred81

bigred81 1/2 ton status

I hope you add fuild before you started the truck for the first time after you changed the oil if not the front pump is junk. With it sitting open for a few days the oil probably drained out of the torque convertor and the valve body. One more question how much oil have you add up to this point. Normally if you change the filter and oil and put it back together that day it will usually take only four quarts of ATF to fill it. Normally I just fill it up to the add mark when cold so if I ever get it stuck and get the trans a little warm it does not boil over out the vent. Sounds like everybody else has said it is low or the filter is on wrong not letting it draw oil. Good luck

bigred81