Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission problem??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tall_Girl, Dec 24, 2001.

1. Tall_Girl

Tall_Girl Registered Member

Ok,

I took the K5 on it's first long ride. Also, the first time on the highway. Now I have a question. My TH700R4 seems to shift to 3rd at 25MPH. This is when I throttle gently. The shifter is on D not OD. I get the feeling this is way to soon. Oh, if it matters, I have 3.08 gears. Anyone have any ideas?

Kisses
    Lana

6'5" tall Dutch girl, just bought a 88 K5, and about to dump the jeep.

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

there is a spring governer in the throttle body that often goes bad. I would also check kickdown cable operation.

you're right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

3. Tall_Girl

Is that cable also known as a TV cable?

XXX
    Lana

4. bablazer73

yep. thats the one.

5. Tall_Girl

And what you basically mean is that it is loose?

XXX
    Lana

6. bablazer73

loose, out of adjustment. I have also seen them get disconnected from the valve inside the tranny.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://www.700r4.com>www.700r4.com</a> They have instructions posted on the site that tell you how to adjust the TV cable. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

A Kick down and a TV are two totaly different things. In a round about way the both do give the signal to down shift but the TV is more of a throttle posisiton sensor for the transmission. It lets the tranny know how much throttle is being applied and changes it's shifts accordingly through the whole range. A Down Shift cable is going to force down shift or hold the gear under full throttle only.
    The TV cable may hold the gear longer even at say 3/4 throttle because it sense that extra throttle is being applied.
    Be sure to properly adjust the TV cable. If it is incorrectly adjusted it can be very hard on the transmission.
    The down shift cable would just mean that it doesn't get the signal that you under full throttle conditions and the down shift will lag.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

9. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

shifting into 3RD at 25 under light throttle may be "normal", most are usually in 4TH around 35-40, it should shift later under more throttle. Does it have a shift kit in it?

'95 Chevy Silverado 1500
    5.7 V8-NV4500- 3.73 rears
    See My Toys: http://community.webshots.com/user/wdb172454

10. Tall_Girl

First of all. What is a shift kit?
    Second. A Dutch guy (again, not Sammy) told me that the TV cable is simply adjusted by moving the outer cable towards the transmission as far as it goes, and then just depress the throttle as far as it goes. Is that true?

XXX
    Lana

11. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

It sounds normal to me since every vehicle I have drove with a stock 700r4 including my Jimmy is in drive by 25 mph under light throttle. When I leave work everyday I am usually in drive before leaving the parking lot.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

12. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

A shift kit is installed in transmissions to control the pressure and volume of the hydraulic fluid through the tranmission in which returns diifferent shift patterns based on the amount of hydraulic pressure in the transmission. Some shift kits make the transmission shift real fast adn at higher RPM's to provide a more solid firm quick shift to reduce the slippage in the clutches.
    If it has a shift kit installed properly it will shift a "little" late under normal circumstances, And I do mean just a "little", but then under hard excelleration the pressure builds up quicker and then releases at a little later time and provides a harder quicker shift, but there are many more things tha involve a correctly installed shift kit.
    Now as far as the way yorrs is shifting, to what seems to you like an earlt shift is "almost" normal for the 700. It tends to like to shift up to the higher gears quicker than most trannys cause it was mostly designed as an effiecient gas/milage saver.
    You may also notice that when driving in D not OD than when you let off the gas at higher RPMS' it will feel like it is downshifting.... This is the Torque Convertor unlocking to allow the engine to aid in braking. For towing this is great but for regular street driving it sucks cuase eveytime the person in front of you slows down a bit and you let of the gas all the way the TC unlocks, make the engine rev a little and then when your back on the gas it tends to want to hunt for the correct gear to be in.
    The 700 is just a little more finicky than most transmissions but if taken care of it is great. You "DO" need to make sure you get the TV cable adjusted correctly or it will "KILL" that transmission, Quickly!!!

Still hoping the GOV'T will ban the use of loud stereos with RAP music. [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

13. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

DID YOU INSTALL A NEW CARB? MAYBE YOUR TV CABLE IS INSTALLED WRONG.

14. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

I had shift-kit on my K1500,and these instructions for adjusting TV cable are from TransGo;

Gasoline-1.Remove the air cleaner.

2.Push the TV adjusting tab and move the cable housing 1½ inches towards the carb.

3.Have someone floor the gas pedal from inside the truck.While they hold the pedal floored,you bend the throttle cable bracket away from the carb until the carb arm bottoms solidly against its stop.

4.While someone is still holding the pedal floored,depress the adjusting tab and slide the TV cable housing away from carb firmly until it stops.Release tab and let it lock.

Diesel-1. Release the locking tab and push the cable housing an inch or more towards bare cable.

2.Have someone floor the throttle pedal from inside tha cab,while you adjust the rods or cable until the arm on the injector pump is against its wide open stop.

3.While the throttle is still being held wide open,release the tab and push the housing firmly away from the bare cable unti it stops and engage the tab.

4.Go to step 5.

5.Pocketknife a deep mark on the cable housing tight up against the front of the adjustment assembly.This mark is MAX TV.

6.Depress tab and move mark 1/8" towards carb (forward)
    7.Road test before installing air cleaner.

8.The first check is for detent.Here's how:Make a very light or min throttle 1-2 shift.As soon as it shifts,floor the throttle.The trans must shift back into 1st.If it doesn't you need more TV.

Some hints: The mark you made is MAX TV.Moving the mark away from the adjustment assembly reduces TV.Diesel and gas V8's work best from max to two clicks away (about 3/32").V6's work better with about 4 clicks away from max (5/32").

Hope this helps.

I'm too lazy to stick shift,that's why I prefer autotranny.

15. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I would think any tranny shop would help you adjust the cable for nothing. They adjust it and tell you take it around the block, they check it again, take it around the block.... takes a few times. Never been charged although I throw a few dollars at the guy for helping me out.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

16. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Might work there in U.S.,but here in Finland there is not too many shops that rebuild/repair autotrannys.And onces that do,are quite far away so I rather do it myself.

17. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

I have adjusted my TCV cable many times by the book and with a few pointers from a freind I get it right everytime. The reason I keep doing it is mine is stretched and keeps coming out of adjustment. But it is easy. Send me a pm if you can't get it and I can walk you through it.

Brian
    83 K-5 4" on 35's

18. Tall_Girl

sounds like a big help. but what is the carb arm? Is that where the trottle cable is connected to?

19. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

That's the one.

20. Tall_Girl

I'll do this as soon as my backlight/fuse problems are gone!

Thanks everyone!
    Lana